Why aren't more fish reef-safe?? Grrrrr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RLG2182

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, went to a few fish stores around here with my girlfriend. Picked up another 10 pounds of LR rubble for my sump (I think I'm at 20 lbs at this point). :D After looking at the fish, the only ones that she really liked were the butterflys, dwarf angels, and large tangs. Grrrrrr

Why is it that the more "colorful and pretty" fish aren't reef safe?? :roll: I can't seem to find any butterflys or angels that would do well in a reef of only 60 gal.

White cheek tangs are nice... but may be too big for my 60. Same for the blue tang.

I feel your frustration. Some of my favorite fish are not reef safe. I love the larger angels and my all time fav is the clown trigger. Someday I hope to have a large FOWLR to keep a few of these. For now I will stick with reef safe stuff. There still are some great reef safe fish available.

Yah. :evil:

What's everyone's favorite un-freshwater(ish) looking fish that's reef safe? She keeps on saying "that fish looks boring, is it freshwater??" :lol:

At this point I could do a FOWLR. Would save a TON on lighting & corals/anenomes. But I love those polyps/zoos/leathers/clams too much. That's what I'm working towards.

Not all Dwarf Angels are dangerous to reefs ya know? I have a bicolor angel who I stuck in my reef and have not had any problems with ever. But to each there own.

How about a Cherub Angel? From what I understand, they are stony coral munchers only. Dwarf, and would fit nice in your 60 gallon.

Maybe a school of Chromis?

Yah... chromis landed under the "freshwater" categories. So says the girlfriend. :lol: Looked up the Cherub... everyone lists it as "with caution" under reef category. Not too certain if that means "at your own risk" hah

I like my yellow headed gobies, yellow tang and royal gramma as colorful non-fwish.

I'm picking up a six-line and a couple of clowns this week that don't look fwish.

Check out www.liveaquaria.com for a bunch of reefsafe fish and pix.

Another dwarf angel to consider is a Coral Beauty. I have had mine in my reef for almost 2 years without any problems. I also have a six line wrasse, percula clowns, clown gobbies, and chromis which btw when placed under reef type lighting, rather than the pet store lighting, really have vibrant colors.

Attachments

• mvc-222f.jpg
    mvc-222f.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 27
cal91666 said:
I have had mine in my reef for almost 2 years without any problems.

Nice! :D I know some people think it's a toss up... or not if it is reef safe... nice to know that at least some out there are good!

Bearfan said:
I like my yellow headed gobies, yellow tang and royal gramma as colorful non-fwish.

I would do a yellow tang, for sure... I've been checking liveaquaria.com a lot lately & see that a yellow tang is good for 50 gal. My girlfriend LOVES the yellow tang. Think I can put a small one in my 60? :?: That might limit the other fish that I can get though cuz they can get big. Maybe then just the two clowns, yellow tang, & lawnmower.

(oh... wanted to make sure that I didn't mean to sound like people's favorite fish were dull... just that my girlfriend liked the ones who were mostly highly aggressive & not reef safe. :lol: To each their own! hah)

Back
Top Bottom