Why do big tanks allow this...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CEverii

Aquarium Advice Freak
Why is it when I see someone with a large tank (usually 220+) they always have fish that aren't usually compatable living together? Such as triggerfish in a reef tank, or even eels? I mean fish are GOING to get eaten or harassed, why put the fish under that kind of stress?

I won't condone what they're doing, but larger tanks tend to allow fish to spread out and not necessarily see each other. Territorial fish are less likely to get into a tussle in larger tanks because there's lots of room for them each to have their own territory, etc.

I second Neilan and will add that in a large tank territories are established much like in the ocean and fish will learn their "areas" and stay away from others.

Agreed, the compatibility rules turn into more of guidelines past 200g. I asked the same thing the first time I went to the Shedd Aquarium after I got into SW.

another thing is that most fish hate eachother casue they will steal there food in the wild once fish learn that there is plenty of food to go around they wont have as big of a problem with having a fish they dont normally get along with. i have two triggers in a tank with damsels cat fish and shrimp and the triggers couldn't care less.

I see the problem WAY MORE OFTEN in smaller tanks. How many times have you seen people with 30, 40 or 50g tanks with tangs in them?

What bothers me is more along the lines of what cccapt said. I hate when I am at a LFS and I hear somebody asking obvious newbie quesions and the lfs sells them a tang. Then I ask the customer what size tank they have and its a 30-gallon tank.

I agree with everything said above. My .02c is that even though it is much more doable, common sense still needs to be excercised. Don't put 2/3 Triggers etc.

Back
Top Bottom