Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2010, 07:22 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic

We've tried this one. I literally sneak up on the fish and they run away. She tries to scare them away and it doesn't work. Also, in the saltwater tank, I've stuck my arm in the tank once since these fish have been in it -- all other interaction like water changes and such has been done through the sump/refugium.

In the FW tank, Ctanley will get pretty close to me when I'm doing water changes, I'll have to be jerky in order to get him away from the siphon. As small as he is he'd get sucked up in there too easily. It seems like the fish are more interested then than when I'm out of the tank though.

Just to be clear, this thread was started with the intent of being half joking, half serious. I'm not going to get all depressed because my fish seem to hate me, but it would be nice if they didn't.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
i think catching your fish by hand instead of a net really gets a bond going... my fish try to eat my hand every time its in the tank now. they never did that until i started catching them by hand. they really dont like the nets
I thought you weren't supposed to touch fish because it was bad for them... Is it only certain types of fish?

Old 03-02-2010, 08:16 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
It can cause problems with their slime coat and weaken their immune system.
Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #24
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I'm not sure on saltwater fish, but i would assume it would be the same. Catching fish with a wet hand is MUCH better than a net. There is no stress, their fins dont get caught in the net, etc, etc, etc... Not to mention they run from a net, they run TO my hand

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:18 PM   #25
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarium1 View Post
It can cause problems with their slime coat and weaken their immune system.
nope... im pretty sure that all you read about it being bad is about as accurate as the 1" per gallon rule...

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 03-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

At least your using a wet hand. Just make sure you keep those fingernails short lol. And if you handle them too often, it can cause them to stress, which can cause them too lose some slime lol. Since stress is the main cause of slime coat depletion (for lack of a better word)
Old 03-02-2010, 08:34 PM   #27
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

can you imagine what a net does to them? flopping around getting their fins caught in the fine mesh, the mesh rubbing against their body... if you think about it, it makes alot more sense

Old 03-02-2010, 08:37 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Its not as bad if the net is wet (lol, maybe soaked for a few minutes).
Old 03-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

My fish run from the net and my hand. I've always been afraid of catching them with my hand, I'd think I'd drop them or hurt them somehow.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:16 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarium1 View Post
At least your using a wet hand....
How do you catch a fish in a tank with a DRY hand?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com