Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I will upload pictures as soon as I can. Can't thank everyone enough for their help. I wanna keep everyone posted so this doesn't happen to anyone else. It sucks to throw all this money down the drain! I am def switching to rodi.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

If contaminant is coming from tap water, you might as well get it from somewhere else.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:46 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

I can definitely agree with dirty tap water, also tried from a culligan machine. In New Orleans had all types of issues. In Springfield Missouri I ran a saltwater tank for 2 years off of tap water, never any issues. Just have to let it sit for 3 days before using it, let the chlorine die down. Here in Nola my water turned cloudy green with culligan water. Only RODI water from now on in my tank. Haven't had issues since switching. Just my experience.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can contact your local water authority and they should be able to tell you what it is treated with. I was courious about what was in mine and they sent me a spread sheet of what the water was treated with and the source of the water.
Not sure if that might help you but just a thought.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The only thing I am having a hard time understanding is that I have been using the same water since the tank was set up. Someone had told me that their water treatment practices are different in summer vs winter, and that they add more chemicals in the summer. My wife is not gonna be happy when I tell her we have to lug 75 gallons if water from the LFS! Lol!
Old 08-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can also get water from some of the larger grocery stores and places like walmart , one where you get it from the machine where you fill your own jugs.

If you are in this for the long haul you might want to consider getting yourself a filter. 75 gallons now and then water changes as needed it would probably pay for itself in the long run not to mention the convience of having it available whenever you need it and not having to travel to do so.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Activist

Agreed in the long haul ro/di units save you effort and if connected properly you can set up an ato and really save yourself some work in the future.
Cichlidjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba dude View Post
You can also get water from some of the larger grocery stores and places like walmart , one where you get it from the machine where you fill your own jugs.

If you are in this for the long haul you might want to consider getting yourself a filter. 75 gallons now and then water changes as needed it would probably pay for itself in the long run not to mention the convience of having it available whenever you need it and not having to travel to do so.
Do not do this, I had trouble with the two machines I would use. Water turned cloudy and green. Recommend ro/di water.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was under the impression that it was RODI water from those machines. Others here have used it without issue. Maybe your machines did not have filters changed as they should have?

I guess with the machines you never know when it was serviced so no guarantee on what comes out when it is handled by an outside party.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba dude View Post
I was under the impression that it was RODI water from those machines. Others here have used it without issue. Maybe your machines did not have filters changed as they should have?

I guess with the machines you never know when it was serviced so no guarantee on what comes out when it is handled by an outside party.
Agreed.

Tags
dyi, dying, live, livestock, stock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com