Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Why does ph change with temp?

Hey everyone, I just calibrated the ph probe on my apex and I've noticed that the ph drops at night when the temp drops. Why is this? I'm still cycling so I haven't taken notes but they're in the log is you care to know... Thanks

Old 02-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's not the temp that's doing it it is the fact that when the lights turn out photosynthesis stops which is why people run reverse lighting or 24/7 lighting on their fuge to balance out the PH swings.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

+1

A lot of probes do not have automatic temerature adjustment. Changes in temperature (at least the amount of variance you should allow in your tank) will have minimal effect on pH. What it can effect though is how the probe measures pH.

Couple that with the lights being off and and algae not utilizing the CO2, that the fish are respirating, by photosynthesis to produce oxygen and you can see a larger swing in pH. Lights on in the sump allow the algae there to utilize the CO2
Old 02-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you guys, so in the simplest terms I should start running my refugium light at least at night... That's another question I have, I read some people run it 24/7 and other people just run it at night.. I would rather have it on 24/7 like that it lights up the whole sump when I need to work on it during the day, any difference?
Old 02-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

24/7 is if you have macro algaes that will become asexual (culpera for example) with a night period. This isn't the case with chaeto though which is why its the go to refugium algae.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I actually placed an order for a small amount of chaeto yesterday, you recommend running the light for it only at night or 24/7?
Old 02-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I run 24/7 but that's not needed really. Reverse lighting is all you really need like when dusk lighting starts for example start up the fuge light and turn it off after the dawn lighting so they slightly overlap.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Another thought could be- if you are fully enclosed and running on the warm side precipitating water can cause higher salinity, which can cause minor ph swings.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well I doubt it's that cause I have my ato setup already but I'm really amazed how much evaporation there is, idk if it has anything to do with it being completely open top but it's more than I ever imagined
Old 02-10-2013, 03:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

My open top had this horrible problem with disappearing water, lol... I've noticed the more I have going on in my tanks (fresh and salt) the more water they use up... Just remember to top off with fresh ro/di or distilled water, not salt.... That's a noob mistake I made with top offs

Tags
change, ph change

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com