Why doesnt someone make a page or article of......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

divemasterjim

Aquarium Advice Freak
Why doesnt someone make a page or article of things you dont want in your tank with pictures and why you dont want it??? That way those of us who dont know can learn before its to late.

Good Idea. Post pics and comments about things you dont want in a reef tank, FO tank, FOWLR tank ect.... :wink:

yes it should be sticky so it stays on top we could have aptasia, mantis, certian crabs, sea cucumbers and so on have a picture of it and why its not a good idea to keep

Problem is while there are soem things most of us agree on you dotn want there are others that are much debated. For example some folks think you acutally dont want bristleworms in your tank where as others desire them. Same with cukes and mantis (belive it or not)

I think it could be useful to have a page of common pests for a typical reef tank. It wouldn't apply to everyone but it would give newbies a heads up.

And it would make it a lot easier for people to help others if they could just post a link to that page instead of writing out the same information everytime.

Sounds like work though.. nevermind :lol:

I understand some people like to keep mantis and such but alot of people new to this hobby dont know what they are, I mean I didnt. If we had some type of page where it would say not recommended for these reasons and let people make up there own mind. I didnt know cucumbers where bad and could kill my whole tank till I read a post last night, makes me wonder what other things I would like to have that are bad ideas

hmmm, like damsels, CC starfish and unidentified crabs? :D All 3 are on my personal no-no list. LIke Freek said, what might be right for you might not be right for some. It takes different strokes, it takes different strokes, it takes different strokes to run the world...

I think it would be helpful, even if some desire certain critters and others don't. Just put in the description as why someone would or wouldn't want the certain critter and/or fish.

divemasterjim said:
I didnt know cucumbers where bad and could kill my whole tank till I read a post last night

I dont know that cucumbers are bad, but should probably be left to experts. I have a small cucumber that hitchiked on my LR and I have no intention of getting rid of him.

I really wanted a sea apple till i did some research and got some feedback on AA, I'm glad I didnt make that purchase, so a sticky with things that could be considered bad would be a great idea. Wouldnt take more tha a couple hundred hours to put together, but think of all the help it would be !!! :D

How about a "profile" on certain creatures with teh pro's and con's of having them in your tank. That way people could see for themselves if they want them or not. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom