Why don't more people use live rock to cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

electrikat

Aquarium Advice Addict
I see all the time where new aquarists cycle their tanks with shrimp, then want to add huge quantities of live rock. Why don't more of us just use the live rock to cycle to begin with? It is a great cycle starter and we wouldn't have to deal with the probability of ammonia spikes after we've already finished cycling. Just one of those things that makes me go "hhhmmmmmm?"

I cycled with LR and Dr and shrimp.. I opted to put buld of lr in after the cycle for the life on the rock..I want most of the good hitchikers to survive..:) I think all these critters are nifty..

Yes we got most of our most interesting animals as freebies on lr. Everytime we look at the tank we see something new. Right now it's alot of little white starfish showing up everywhere. It's amazing what can survive.

That's what I'm saying. My 20g cycled in 9 days with live rock, but it took nearly 3 weeks for the 90g to cycle with a shrimp. I know sometimes it just takes longer but if you want live rock anyways why not add some from the start.

I'm lovin' this new hobby..:) although it can be tedious at times...:) can't wait to get my new lr.. to see what else I get.. I have all kinds of books for identification..I've reverted back to my nerdy self..lol

yes i totally agree, my cycle is coming along real nice do to the 60 lbs of lr i have in my tank

I always cycle with "Cured" live rock. It has enough die off from the shipping process usually to get a good cycle going. The first and last time I cycled with uncured, it smelled so bad that I just can't do that again. I do a three step cycle over about 3 months though, but thats just a quirkly personal supersition thing I have going.

I'm cycling with lr also, and its amazing how fast it seems to be going. I think, for some peolple at least, that it is sticker shock that stops the initial purchase of lr. But then after doing more searching and reading they realize how important it is and so add it later.

Couldnt afford it on my starter tank. I will probably add about 5 lbs of cured LR after fish to compliment my 30lbs base rock. There simpy was no reason to spend 150+ dollars on live rock on my first SW tank. On my next tank, sure ill use some LR to cycle.

electrikat said:
I see all the time where new aquarists cycle their tanks with shrimp, then want to add huge quantities of live rock. Why don't more of us just use the live rock to cycle to begin with? It is a great cycle starter and we wouldn't have to deal with the probability of ammonia spikes after we've already finished cycling. Just one of those things that makes me go "hhhmmmmmm?"

Not everyone can afford to buy lr all at once. Or perhaps, a new aquarist wants to get the right size/shape of lr rather than just throwing lr into a tank. However, i did recycle my tank with lr and shrimps. It took two weeks to complete the cycle process.

Back
Top Bottom