why is cyanobacteria bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOMA

Aquarium Advice Addict
i think i have some in my tank, why is it bad? what does it do thats so bad?

I also saw online that it can produce toxins. Is this true?

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

whats wrong with that? why do people want coralline algae to spread buy not cyanobacteria?

There is at least one toxin I know of that cyanobacteria produce. When they first appeared on the scene 2.7 billion years ago, cyanobacteria started producing oxygen, and the oxygen was so toxic it pretty much killed almost every living thing on earth.

it made oxygen and that almost killed everything? huh?

yup, up to that point the earth's atmopshere was mostly ammonia and methane and such. When cyanobacteria started producing oxygen the life that had evolved to that point couldn't survive the toxicity of the oxygen and died off. For the next billion years cyanobacteria pretty much ruled the earth until about 1.7 billion years ago when more complex life that could handle oxygen toxicity started to evolve to take advantage of an oxygenated atmosphere.

For humans there are two types of oxygen toxicity. Long term oxygen toxicity and, you guessed it, short term oxygen toxicity. If you breath 100% oxygen for 12hrs or longer you run the risk of your lungs filling with fluid similar to pneumonia and this can be fatal. Short term oxygen toxicity generally occurs at 200% or greater. This can only occur under pressure. For example, a diver at 33ft is experiancing twice the pressure of someone at the surface. Breathing normal air at 33ft underwater, the oxygen content of 21% would be double at 42%. If you were breathing 100% oxygen, it would be at the 200% threshhold, and you run the risk of passing out, going into convulsions, and dying within 30 seconds.

In the world of chemistry, there is no such thing as a toxic chemical, only toxic ammounts. I forget where I heard that. hehe.

GREAT POST!! It is true, i was going to post one very similar to that.

Question...... I also am starting to have some cyano appearing.....what is the best way to get this in check?

GREAT POST!! It is true, i was going to post one very similar to that.

Question...... I also am starting to have some cyano appearing.....what is the best way to get this in check?

i read to do water changes with R/O water or distilled. i guess i cant use my tap water anymore :(

I always use RO water with reef crystals...... isnt helping. Are the some additives that i can use?

Just continue doing water changes probably weekly at least until the cyano goes down. People want coraline and not cyano because cyano is ugly and can even cover corals while coraline is a nice purple color that will harden on your rocks. Cyano growing also means there is too much nutrients in your tank. Overfeeding, too much light, ect. It is also common in new tanks. I wouldn't recommend using any additives as this will just pollute the tank more and cause more problems.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/cyano-outbreak-143035.html
here is another thread where melosu posted some good articles

siphon out the cyano. when you do your waterchanges and like kms907 said watch your feeding amounts.it will take time but you will eventually win.

My nitrates are high because i am cycling so i will do a big water change tomorrow.

If you're cycling, then just kill the lights. No need for lights while you're cycling as it just increases the odds that nasty nuisance algae (or cyano, in your case) gets a foothold. Once the cycling is over and you get your nitrate levels back down, the cyano should die off.

Don't forget that good water flow will help fight cyano too! Point a PH into the cyano!

I use RO/DI, without the deionizing aspects, phosphates don't get removed, which grow algae like mad. Grab a phosphate test and see what it's at.

Back
Top Bottom