Why is my clownfish so aggressive ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Garrett706

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have one ocellaris clown in my tank and it keeps fighting any other fish I put in. I had a blue and yellow tang and I found them dead one morning and I just assumed they fought while I was sleeping, well now I've put a flame angel in and I saw the clown go after her and hit her, all the research I've done points to the ocellaris as being one of the least territorial clowns you can buy, has anyone else ever experienced this and here is a pic of her just to make sure she is a ocellaris and not a percula

Attachments

• image-3400719672.jpg
    image-3400719672.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 107
Clowns in general are just extremly territorial. From my experience ive learned that if i want a clownfish, im going to keep it alone or as a pair. Maybe thats just because of the luck ive had. Mine will actually bite my hand if i go to move rocks around. Try moving your rocks around a bit to change the territory. This way they all have equal chance to claim a part of the enviorment for their own. This method works very well with cichlids so im going to assume its simalar

Garrett706 said:
I have one ocellaris clown in my tank and it keeps fighting any other fish I put in. I had a blue and yellow tang and I found them dead one morning and I just assumed they fought while I was sleeping, well now I've put a flame angel in and I saw the clown go after her and hit her, all the research I've done points to the ocellaris as being one of the least territorial clowns you can buy, has anyone else ever experienced this and here is a pic of her just to make sure she is a ocellaris and not a percula

I have a maroon clown and it's only shows aggression to my 2yt damsels. Do you have an anemone I would buy one to keep the aggression down.

It's funny. Before I bought my pair of Maroon Gold Flake pair, people were telling how aggressive they are. I have anemone with them in a 40 gallon, with a pair of Lubock Wrasses's, a yellow hogfish, a rare pygmy multicolored angel and a sprigeri dottyback. The clowns don't like when I move coral around. They attack it as Im trying to place it and every once in a while charge my hand, but they aren't showing any aggression towards the fish. They only go after the fish if they get to close to their anemone.

Breakthecycle2 said:
It's funny. Before I bought my pair of Maroon Gold Flake pair, people were telling how aggressive they are. I have anemone with them in a 40 gallon, with a pair of Lubock Wrasses's, a yellow hogfish, a rare pygmy multicolored angel and a sprigeri dottyback. The clowns don't like when I move coral around. They attack it as Im trying to place it and every once in a while charge my hand, but they aren't showing any aggression towards the fish. They only go after the fish if they get to close to their anemone.

Exactly maroons arnt bad at all. When I got mine it was small best to go with small clowns from the start so they will get used to there tank mates as they get older.

Exactly maroons arnt bad at all. When I got mine it was small best to go with small clowns from the start so they will get used to there tank mates as they get older.

My Maroons aren't too small. I have also have a pair of black occalaris's in my other tank and they are much, much smaller. I expect the maroons to become more aggressive as they mature, but at the same time, being they are a bonded pair, I think they are already mature.

Breakthecycle2 said:
My Maroons aren't too small. I have also have a pair of black occalaris's in my other tank and they are much, much smaller. I expect the maroons to become more aggressive as they mature, but at the same time, being they are a bonded pair, I think they are already mature.

Yes they will become aggressive when they mature and yes it's nice to hear that your pair is doing good together. But I wouldn't mix and put the black clowns because they will fight.

Breakthecycle2 said:
Oh no. I'm not going to start mixing clowns together. lol

Lol yeah that would be bad but other than that you should be fine with maroons clowns

Back
Top Bottom