Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Animal-Chin's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 1,315
Check this out, it should help you understand the chemistry...

http://youtu.be/vjFWU-TUII4
__________________

__________________
Animal-Chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
bjj_junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Miami Beach, FL
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty View Post

So you only used a buffer to keep the kh up?
And didn't dose calcium
Yes, I use kent tech cb but always the same amount of both never one more than the other. Should I dose one more than the other to get the calcium up?
__________________

__________________
bjj_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Liberty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tampa
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjj_junkie View Post

Yes, I use kent tech cb but always the same amount of both never one more than the other. Should I dose one more than the other to get the calcium up?
Yes some times you have growth spurts and they use more of one. Test and adjust the dose.
I dose more cal then alk. The key is to test weekly ones to low add a LITTLI bit more daily, over time slowly bring it back up. Same if its to high little less.
__________________
Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Reefer4eva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Glendale NY
Posts: 185
This is what i been using for my sps dominant tank with great success Brightwell Aquatics - Kalk+2
__________________
Reefer4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
bjj_junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Miami Beach, FL
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer4eva View Post
This is what i been using for my sps dominant tank with great success Brightwell Aquatics - Kalk+2
I might give that a try, do you just does that or would I have to use the current supplements I'm on now as well?
__________________
bjj_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #16
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 18,534
My biggest question is why are you dosing your tank to begin with? Even some heavy SPS dominate tanks do not require dosing, it is hard to believe most of the time that our tanks require it at all when a good salt mix will keep the levels where we want them to be with weekly water changes. A new type of salt with higher calcium, alk, and mag might solve your concern without accidentally elevating one level too high.
Kent salt is one that has higher calcium and alk, I use it and love it. Some research into it will find what is best for you, or you can simply ask of course. Hope this helps.
Sniperhank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Ingy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Comox, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,837
I'd just keep using what you've got for now. I use the same stuff but I also add more Calcium part than Carbonate part. Over a 5 day period I add 60mL Calcium to 40mL Carbonate. I recently even skipped the Alk part (I dose Alk thru my ATO every 5 days) as my alk was getting high.
__________________
Ingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
bjj_junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Miami Beach, FL
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
My biggest question is why are you dosing your tank to begin with? Even some heavy SPS dominate tanks do not require dosing, it is hard to believe most of the time that our tanks require it at all when a good salt mix will keep the levels where we want them to be with weekly water changes. A new type of salt with higher calcium, alk, and mag might solve your concern without accidentally elevating one level too high.
Kent salt is one that has higher calcium and alk, I use it and love it. Some research into it will find what is best for you, or you can simply ask of course. Hope this helps.
Because I find water changes to be a huge pain in the a$$. I gotta make ro water, mix salt, measure it and so on... I rather supplement the water
__________________
bjj_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gregcoyote's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Posts: 8,320
That won't replace occasional water changes. Supplements will help (if you truly need them) but water changes export other organics your filtration may not get. Also replenishes other minerals. I don't do a lot of water changing as I test all the time, but I certainly wouldn't eliminate them.
__________________
Gregcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
bjj_junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Miami Beach, FL
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
That won't replace occasional water changes. Supplements will help (if you truly need them) but water changes export other organics your filtration may not get. Also replenishes other minerals. I don't do a lot of water changing as I test all the time, but I certainly wouldn't eliminate them.
I'll try a 10% wc this weekend and see how the calcium looks after
__________________

__________________
bjj_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.