Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-28-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Why is my new bta hiding

Hello folks I got another really cool neon pink bta about a week ago and the very night it moved to the under side of a rock it was on it can't be getting any light. I flip the rock over every morning and at night he goes under again. Should I keep flipping the rock back over or just let him alone . He still looks good color and bubble wise all and also he is only the size of a quarter. Is he getting to much light

Old 02-28-2014, 07:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Probably not used to your lighting. I wouldn't force it out. "neon pink" sounds like a rose bubble tip that's a little bleached. Don't be surprised if it doesn't stay this color.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393631280.815116.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	226.4 KB
ID:	225234Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393631384.539388.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	225235 does it looked bleached Mrx
Old 02-28-2014, 07:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yep. It does. It's pretty common actually. They are scooped up or propagated, and kept in tanks with little to no light until they get to our systems. It should be fine. I would let it come out when it's ready. If it stays hidden for a week or so, then I would consider lowering the light in the tank for a little to bring it out.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:11 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well that's a little disappointing but thank you for pointing that out. I thought I had a rare one lol at least I didn't pay much for it
Old 03-01-2014, 09:10 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Bleached Anemone:
The lost of color or “bleaching” is a result of the loss of an anemone’s zooxanthellae. This can happen for a number of reasons such as excessive temperature changes, excessive lighting, insufficient lightning, physical stress, excessive salinity, etc.
Just like corals, anemones use their zooxanthellae to feed on light. The other part of their nutrition comes from meat. Unfortunately, they cannot survive solely on captured prey as their primary source of energy. An anemone without zooxanthellae is usually on the brink of death so:

Bleaching can be reversed, but it takes commitment and time. First thing to do is to is to provide excellent water quality and optimal lighting. If you fear your light is too strong, you can simply reduce the photo period and increase the time slowly over a couple of weeks. This will allow the anemone to addapt. When the light is too strong, the anemone will usually hide from it. The anemone should also be feed in small quantities on a regular basis (3-4 times a week) until it’s color recovers. This will keep it from starving since it dosn’t have it’s symbiotic algae to help out.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:15 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I never had any luck with reducing the photo period. The way I see it, if you look at the sun for 2 hours, or 10 hours, your still blind.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lol good one mr x I will try dimming them maybe. Thank you everyone I appreciate all comments

Tags
bta, hiding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com