why is my ph creeping up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

colie

Aquarium Advice Regular
My ph seems to be creeping up from about 8.0-8.4 in the last couple of weeks. Should I be worried lt's gone up that much so quickly. is it too high? I've read adding vinegar or calcium can help lower it but don't want to add anything if I don't need to. I do weekly 10-15 percent water changes and all of my other readings seem to be doing great. I have also been taking 10-15 bio balls out at each water change and syphoning small parts of sand each week.

Have you opened up your windows? Ph will naturally be higher in the summer than winter. That being said 8-8.4 is fine, and if nothing is upset by the ph change leave it be

Usually the PH will creep up from the start of the lighting cycle to the end. Mine will start off about 8.1 and be about 8.4 at the end of the day. The range you have given should be OK. You dont have a lid on your tank do you?

I do have a lid. I do usually test in the morning but I did test last night so maybe that's it. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And yes on the windows as well. If it keeps going up when should I be worried?

Anyway you can get rid of the lid? They make a nice clear nylon netting you can put on top of your tank. You get rid of the glass lid your problems will be over.

I have a green torch, rose bubble, Xenia and Hollywood challace as well as fish.

I was thinking of doing some sort of mesh or netting. Any kind you recommend?

If the corals are happy leave it be, they will let you know when something's up. As for mesh, I've never personally used it, I just run open tops, but brs sells a clear mesh for tops that won't steal any of the light intensity.

Back
Top Bottom