why is my sand and rocks getting brown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra2003rg

Aquarium Advice Activist
My live rocks and sand is getting brown on the tops. Why? Is it OK or bad?
20 gal with a pink tip condy and a tomato clown.

ForumRunner_20120531_122402.jpg

Your getting some algae in the rocks and diatoms on the sand. Not a big deal, just looks bad sometimes. How are you water changing? What type of water/mix/schedule. How long are your lights on. What type of lights?

Regular fluorescent bulbs and water 10% water change 1nce a month with instant ocean salt

Are you using ro/di water for your water changes? that can contribute to algae if you aren't.... also, I would up that water change schedule a bit, like maybe every other week 10-15%. :)

carey said:
Are you using ro/di water for your water changes? that can contribute to algae if you aren't.... also, I would up that water change schedule a bit, like maybe every other week 10-15%. :)

I heard Carey is doing a group buy! Could get a RODI unit for cheap that may! :)

couple of questions
how old is the tank
what kind of circulation (water current) do you have
how often do you feed and how much
water parameters ph, nitrite, nitrate , ammonia ect
now for the biggie did you cycle your tank

I had brown algae then it turned to red slime algae or ciano bacteria for about 45 days, the day i decided to use chemclean it just vanished itselt in 2 days, so my experience says just wait and it will be fine, few tips u must consider, dont over feed, wash the food, light quality and duration, uv. Btw i dont do water change at all, i have tried water change for 2 years, and without water change for 3 years, and im more success with my live stock without water changes, i focus on water movement and i find it really good, yes tangs are very good cause they eat fish waste also gobbies and clams

Knuckles said:
I had brown algae then it turned to red slime algae or ciano bacteria for about 45 days, the day i decided to use chemclean it just vanished itselt in 2 days, so my experience says just wait and it will be fine, few tips u must consider, dont over feed, wash the food, light quality and duration, uv. Btw i dont do water change at all, i have tried water change for 2 years, and without water change for 3 years, and im more success with my live stock without water changes, i focus on water movement and i find it really good, yes tangs are very good cause they eat fish waste also gobbies and clams

Wait, are you saying you don't perform any water changes on your system at all?

Yes my friend not at all, i was given this advice from my lfs he is a friend of mine, and thats what he told me, i was shocked when i heard that from him , but now am cool, the first ph drop i noticed after 6 months and i solved it with backing soda ?my skimmer is cheapest in market its boyu and i dont know the brand of my uv but its another cheap 1 my metal halides reflector and ballast are general purpose only the bulbs are specific for aquarium but yet its a crap cheap 1s , i used tap water at first but now i use ro to top up evaporated water, the only 3 good branded items i have are kent salt mix, phos ban and trace elements, i made the tank my self along with canopy and Trickle, my corals growing faster than the lfs i bought them from, i have regal tang 2 powder blue 1 chocolate tang 1 purple tang 2 anthias 6 damsels tpmato clown maroon clown most of them completed 2.5 years, water circulation is very necessary, my water move rapidly between trickle and tank.

How does your method handle nitrates? First rule I learned about aquaria keeping is, what you put in, you need to take out (food, ect.)

Forgot to tell u, only additive i use is trace elements, my trickle has sock, uv, skimmer, phos ban, bio balls, ceramic rings and kent resin

Yes my nitrates about 40 but everything is cool, my blue tang is 3years old rest about 2 and 2.5 years old also i have 8 corals which are growing fast

Nitrate is least harmful toxic unlike nitrite and ammonia, i took this step as experiment, i said somewhen have to risk and try so i did also im in bahrain in middle east and i cant find all good stuff over here and shipping from us cost too much. Well its all running cool tho

ill make a video a-z about my experiment n would be soon up on utube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom