why is my skimmate green?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You've likely got green algae in your water. It may not have visibly materialized on anything yet, but it's in your water. Just happened to me about two weeks ago.... I saw my skimmate was green like that, and sure as heck, after a very close look, I found a couple small tufts of green hair algae. A couple of back-to-back small pwc's & cutting my daylight by 1/2hr, and my skimmate is back to brown.

So you're telling me it could not be that I'm adding Kent Essential Trace Elements? It is green you know.

sanchezkk said:
So you're telling me it could not be that I'm adding Kent Essential Trace Elements? It is green you know.

That's a possibility I guess. Why are you using it to begin with?

sanchezkk said:
I'm transitioning to a reef and the extra couldn't hurt.

Yes it can.. with reefs you only dose what you can test for. Trace elements should only.be depleted in extremely overstocked tanks or tanks with to few water changes. All elements you will need are provided in your salt mix which if you are moving to a reef then start using reef salt which has elevated levels for corals growth.

I'm transitioning to a reef and the extra couldn't hurt.
The extra what? Do you know what's in it and whatever it is, are the levels of those elements in your tank lower than they should be?
#1 rule of reefkeeping is only dose what you test for and only supplement if those levels are low. Just by looking at your current tank, more than likely you have no need to dose anything at all.

I just started housing sps corals and I just added a Long Tentacle Anemone. Also, I am only using Instant Ocean Salt. The one I'm using is not the reef formula, it's the standard salt.

I would recommend you stop dosing. Unless you're testing for every single thing in the dosage, and they're low, don't dose. Just upgrade to reef salt if your really worried.

Well, yeah..... ya didn't mention that part.

As stated above.... never dose anything that you're not testing for. If you're getting into SPS, and don't have them already, I'd recommend some good quality test kits (Hanna, Red Sea, Salifert) for Nitrates, Phosphates, Calcium, Alk, & Magnesium.

I just started housing sps corals and I just added a Long Tentacle Anemone. Also, I am only using Instant Ocean Salt. The one I'm using is not the reef formula, it's the standard salt.
That is a perfectly fine reef salt. It has everything you need to keep a successful reef tank.

It's the salt I use....
fts_5-5-12.jpg

Back
Top Bottom