Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2005, 03:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to tiredfish
why is the glass bending?

i just set a 55 gallon reef tank up...i looked at it today and noticed a major bow in the front and back...is this normal at all...like the glass is under alot of pressure...the tank is long and narrow..has this happened to anybody else? im afraid its gonna give and breaK...what to do?

Old 05-01-2005, 04:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

It should not bend noticably. Does it have a center support brace? Most 55gallons I have seen are 4' long and have a plastic brace going from front-to-back on top. Without this, it might be very very unstable.

125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 09:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
I've never seen glass bend.
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 10:24 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thats not good at all...... If it was me I would take the tank down...

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 11:01 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sounds like a flood waiting to happen.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:15 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

What thickness is the glass on this tank? If it is only 3/8 glass it will likely bow a little. How much does it bow? 1/4" in 4 feet or what?

My larger tanks (90 gal) are all 1/2" glass and of course they do not bow at all since the glass is that much thicker.

You may want to add your own acrylic center brace or even braces in the corners on the top to help hold if you want to keep the tank...

Equipment: 33G SW Reef tank (pic), 192W Coralife PC lighting, PHs for H2O circulation, Red Sea Berlin Classic Skimmer
Aquascaping: 3" DSB, 50lb live rock (~35 lbs home made Cement Base Rock)
Clean Up Crew: Blue Leg hermits, Cerith snails, Astrea Snails, Stomatella snails, Brittlestar, banded brittles.
Critters: Hawaiian feather duster, Coral Banded Shrimp, Emerald Crab
Corals: Open Brain Coral, Cabbage coral, 4 RBTAs, Melon mushrooms, green Zoos, yellow polyps, finger Leather, orange Zoos, Brown Zoos, Chocolate Zoos, Xenia, GSP, Kenya Tree Coral, 2 acropora SPS, blue sponge, candy cane
Fish/Inverts: Maroon Clownfish, Scooter Blenny, Coral Beauty dwarf angel, Sea Hare
vertex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 02:32 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Sounds like the center brace if one exists was removed. IF there was a brace on this tank you need to keep a brace there as the tank manufaturers will use thinner glass and add a brace for stability. Its cheaper for them this way.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 03:16 PM   #8
zacdl

Uh Oh I would take it down.....
8O
Old 05-01-2005, 07:54 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to tiredfish
yes.. the brace was broken so i replaced it with something i made....but i didnt think it would actually bow...but considering if the glass is thin ...then yea i guess it would bend a bit without a brace...that thought didnt really cross my mind tho....the canopy i built was fairly loose when i placed it on the top....but when i took it off... it was very snug...it was also snug when i put it back on there...will this brace i made and my tight fitting canopy hold this booger..and keep it from bowing all the way out till my fish are on the floor?
Old 05-01-2005, 08:32 PM   #10
zacdl

If you have a tight fitting canopy, maybe you could re-configure it to include some sort of brace (and keep it on).

Tags
glass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com