Why is there still algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrpope

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just got my salifert phosphate test kit. 0 ppm, topoff water 0ppm, nitrate 0 ppm, so why do I still have really bad algae? My macro grows relatively fast, but so does the hair algae in the tank. Im really frustrated, any advice, sugestions?

Thanks, Brian

How much water circulation do you have? How much dark skimmage does you skimmer produce daily? What is your water change schedule? Do you scrape and/or syphon it out at all?
How long has your tank been set up?
Also may want to double check your PO4 level with your LFS. There are bum test kits from time to time.

water circulation: 15 X per hr, soon to be upgraded to scwd with the quiet one 3000 pump (scwd is on backorder with marine depot)
not a ton of dark scimmage, I cant remember the exact day I last dumped out the cup, but the skimmate is really dark.
I do about a 10% change every other week, sometimes more. When I do the water change I do run the siphon over the rocks to pick up detritus, etc, but I dont exactly scrape the algae off the rocks, but I do clean the glass with a magnetic glass scrubber thing. I really hope that my test kit is good, those saliferts are expensive.

Brian

My tank didn't have everything zeroed out, but damn near close and I got some bubble algea and just about when I thought it was going to get ugly, it dissappeared practically over night. I know I didn't answer your question very well, but it will probabally burn out soon if those are your levels and everything else is good. If I am wrong, please someone correct me.

Not much skimmage, may want to adjust.
You also may be overfeeding a bit. Whats you feeding schedule?

thats my guess overfeeding
frozen brine seems to cause trouble also
ive also read test kits usualy dont show phosphates well because the algae is always consuming it so the levels dont show high even if thier is a problem

I feed mysis and formula one (switching everyother day or so) about once a day.
Quarryshark: adjust what, the skimmer? I have a remora, do you mean I should twist the screw? Does that increase spray pressure?

I have crabs: I tested the fresh water that I use to top off and the replacement water saltwater and both showed a PO4 of 0 ppm.

ive also read test kits usualy dont show phosphates well because the algae is always consuming it so the levels dont show high even if thier is a problem

This is true by CO2 at least, If you try to measure free CO2 near a thick bed of seaweed it can read 0. However O2 reads really high (8-10ppm). It probably also applies to Nitrate/Phosphates. There is good news,
it could burn itself out.
(I just saved a bunch of money by switching to GEICO)
Does it measure free or total phosphate?

Quarryshark: adjust what, the skimmer? I have a remora, do you mean I should twist the screw? Does that increase spray pressure?
Not sure how yours adjusts, never had that model.
Might want to start another thread with that question.
I feed mysis and formula one (switching everyother day or so) about once a day
How much per session?

Need to wait till the stuff in your tank is 0ppm I had the same problem I did 5 20g water changed and before I knew it no more cyano.

I dont feed a lot. Since my only eater of those frozen foods is my tomato clown (the blenny grazes on algae and the manderin eats his pods) I only throw in a quarter cube of the frozen stuff at a time. he doesnt always eat it all but I do have hermits and stuff. as for the anemone, it gets a silverside, or other meaty treat 3 times per week.
I dont know whether the test runs free or total PO4, but unless its a bunk test kit due to storing, packing or something else that could cuse it to go bad i would trust it because its from salifert

What type of lighting do you have? How long do you run them every day? Is your tank next to a window or does it have direct sunlight on any part of it during the day?

I run 150W hqi MH, 2 x 65 Watt PC actinics. Actinics are 12 hrs per day and the MH is 10 hrs. Not next to a window, though sunlight may hit it a little.

Your lighting schedule is not extreme. For the time being you may want to try cutting back on the lighting to see what happens. Maybe try actinics for 10 hrs and MH for 8. Cut way back on feedings and see if that helps. Try to feeding every two or even three days. Your fish will be just fine fi they are not fed every day.

Back
Top Bottom