Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-05-2005, 08:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Why is there still algae?

I just got my salifert phosphate test kit. 0 ppm, topoff water 0ppm, nitrate 0 ppm, so why do I still have really bad algae? My macro grows relatively fast, but so does the hair algae in the tank. Im really frustrated, any advice, sugestions?

Thanks, Brian

Old 01-05-2005, 09:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

anyone?

Old 01-05-2005, 09:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
How much water circulation do you have? How much dark skimmage does you skimmer produce daily? What is your water change schedule? Do you scrape and/or syphon it out at all?
How long has your tank been set up?
Also may want to double check your PO4 level with your LFS. There are bum test kits from time to time.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

water circulation: 15 X per hr, soon to be upgraded to scwd with the quiet one 3000 pump (scwd is on backorder with marine depot)
not a ton of dark scimmage, I cant remember the exact day I last dumped out the cup, but the skimmate is really dark.
I do about a 10% change every other week, sometimes more. When I do the water change I do run the siphon over the rocks to pick up detritus, etc, but I dont exactly scrape the algae off the rocks, but I do clean the glass with a magnetic glass scrubber thing. I really hope that my test kit is good, those saliferts are expensive.

Brian
Old 01-05-2005, 10:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My tank didn't have everything zeroed out, but **** near close and I got some bubble algea and just about when I thought it was going to get ugly, it dissappeared practically over night. I know I didn't answer your question very well, but it will probabally burn out soon if those are your levels and everything else is good. If I am wrong, please someone correct me.

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 10:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Not much skimmage, may want to adjust.
You also may be overfeeding a bit. Whats you feeding schedule?
Old 01-05-2005, 10:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

thats my guess overfeeding
frozen brine seems to cause trouble also
ive also read test kits usualy dont show phosphates well because the algae is always consuming it so the levels dont show high even if thier is a problem
Old 01-05-2005, 11:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I feed mysis and formula one (switching everyother day or so) about once a day.
Quarryshark: adjust what, the skimmer? I have a remora, do you mean I should twist the screw? Does that increase spray pressure?
Old 01-05-2005, 11:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have crabs: I tested the fresh water that I use to top off and the replacement water saltwater and both showed a PO4 of 0 ppm.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
ive also read test kits usualy dont show phosphates well because the algae is always consuming it so the levels dont show high even if thier is a problem
This is true by CO2 at least, If you try to measure free CO2 near a thick bed of seaweed it can read 0. However O2 reads really high (8-10ppm). It probably also applies to Nitrate/Phosphates. There is good news,
it could burn itself out.
(I just saved a bunch of money by switching to GEICO)
Does it measure free or total phosphate?

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com