Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-20-2014, 02:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award
Why no live rock in a quarantine tank?

Well after loosing all my fish to velvet I've set up a quarantine tank. It's cycling now so it doesn't have a fish in it. I've read article after article on these tanks and all say no liverock or sand. My question is why no rock? I would think it would help with the amonia like in my display so i don't get why I cant have some.

Even if I treat the tank for ich or something one day, I'd just leave that rock in the quarantine tank that doesn't have coral or inverts, whats the harm?

Animal-Chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
If you don't plan on transferring any of the rock out I don't see why it would be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

BigRedsReefs10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:23 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I agree. As long as it never makes it into another tank it should be good to go. Esp. if you have to use copper.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
A lot of people confuse a QT with a HT (hospital tank).

I put some rocks, PVC elbows and a bio filter pad I keep in my sump into the qt. If I determine treatment is required (hypo salinity only, I never use copper) then the rocks and bio pads are removed and cleaned (and dried for a couple months minimum). Meanwhile i hypo the qt making it now a ht. You want to minimize BB during hypo to limit die off during treatment.

After the qt the tank and PVC are cleaned and the tank is put back into the shed until next time. The PVC is dried and later put back into the sump to cure for next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Ingy is offline   Reply With Quote

live, live rock, quarantine, quarantine tank, rock, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com