Why no live rock in a quarantine tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Animal-Chin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well after loosing all my fish to velvet I've set up a quarantine tank. It's cycling now so it doesn't have a fish in it. I've read article after article on these tanks and all say no liverock or sand. My question is why no rock? I would think it would help with the amonia like in my display so i don't get why I cant have some.

Even if I treat the tank for ich or something one day, I'd just leave that rock in the quarantine tank that doesn't have coral or inverts, whats the harm?

If you don't plan on transferring any of the rock out I don't see why it would be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree. As long as it never makes it into another tank it should be good to go. Esp. if you have to use copper.

A lot of people confuse a QT with a HT (hospital tank).

I put some rocks, PVC elbows and a bio filter pad I keep in my sump into the qt. If I determine treatment is required (hypo salinity only, I never use copper) then the rocks and bio pads are removed and cleaned (and dried for a couple months minimum). Meanwhile i hypo the qt making it now a ht. You want to minimize BB during hypo to limit die off during treatment.

After the qt the tank and PVC are cleaned and the tank is put back into the shed until next time. The PVC is dried and later put back into the sump to cure for next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom