Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-30-2006, 06:04 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How deep is the tank?

Old 05-30-2006, 06:12 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc118
How deep is the tank?
Well the whole tank is 21 inches high(48 inches long, 18 wide)... but from the substrate to the water line is 19 to 19 1/2 inches deep.

Old 05-31-2006, 11:49 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Personally I think the T-5 lighting would serve you just fine. In fact I have a fast growing Montopara colony that is thriving under my T-5 system. The system I use is the Current NOVA 4 54 watt system. I have two blue actinic bulbs and two 10,000k daylight bulbs. It makes in my tank for a total of 4 watts per gallon lighting. I keep a large variety of LPS corals, Anemones, and more even some Acropora colonies that are doing well under the T-5.

I used the Current Orbit 380 watt compact flo. fixture but the high heat output and high, high cost of bulb replacement convinced me to upgrade to T-5. Although the T-5 fixture puts out heat it is not near as intense as MH's heat or Compact Flo. heat.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:11 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

how are you figuring 4 watts per gallon? That light system you have is 216 watts total right? and on a 75 gallon that would be about 2.88 watts per ... right, or am I missing something...thats actually less wattage that I have now.Or are you supplementing with other lighting?
Old 05-31-2006, 04:39 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
They have different wattage, you would pick the higher watt kit...I have the 216W lights, mac might have the 432W light fixture.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:43 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well the wife just made it more difficult to make a discission she upped the till, She said go ahead and get eighter one you want 8O . With the Nova extreme 432 watt light, will that be ok to house a clam and bring out more color in the tank? Or will the Odyssea 542watt be the choice for the inhabitants? over my 265watt PC.The two things I want most for the tank is a clam and a Rose bta...with that said what would be best for my tank, Im now leaning for the Nova because of the cost of replacmest bulbs.

edit: will eighter of these lights be to much light???
Old 05-31-2006, 09:01 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow never seen anyone slam MHs before. Halides are not just for glimmer they offer better coloration of SPS corals too. I have had both and I prefer the MHs hands down. You can get a RBTA under t5 lighting as it will move to where it gets good lighting and good flow. The clam doesn't have to be at the bottom like in most tanks as you place one in the rockwork and it will be fine. (depending on the type of clam I don''t think Gigas would do well on rockwork.)
Old 05-31-2006, 09:38 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, I think I have made up my mind. I will have to post some before and after pics when I order...just have to decide 4x54 or 8x54... my only con is the 14 inch width on the 8x54 model...
Old 06-01-2006, 02:13 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry reefbound I forgot to say I have two slimline aqua light t-5's on the rear of my tank. I had these beforehand and just threw them on there with the new NOVA fixture. T-5 lighting offers more Lumen output then any other flo. lighting source. While the initial wattage is lower the output in spectrums is in fact higher. This means that with T-5 lighting you can have less wattage and still be getting better results because the spectrum is much better. This is a good thing in terms that T-5 will use less electrical power and still put out better spectrum. You can keep RBTA's, clams, even SPS corals and more under t-5 lighting will exceptional results.

My girlfriend keeps a densly planted freshwater aquarium and she made the switch from Power compact to T-5. Her plants were doing way, way better under t-5 and after seeing these perform I was like Man I need some of those. That is why I changed from my old 400 watt fixture to the new 214 T-5 fixture. The fact is I am seeing the same results, maybe even better on some LPS corals that I was seeing under 400 watts of light.

More important than wattage is spectrum, and making sure you mix white light with actinic and that the actinic comes on before and goes off after the white.

I am not slamming metal halides at all since I beleive for an all SPS aquarium they are the only real choice if you want to achieve the glimmering effect and maximum growth. I however dont beleive that Halides are the most practical and best performing fixtures for reef aquariums, I think they are more suited to reef aquariums that specialize in SPS corals. I think that T-5 and Power compact flo. lighting are far better in terms of heat output, and power consumption than any halide. Unless you are keeping only SPS corals why pay more in electricty, more for bulbs, more to cool your tank, all so you can get a glimmer effect??

I still think that flourascent lighting (SO, T-5, Compact Flo. etc) is the king of lighting in any aquarium situation.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:09 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

with all that said would I need the lower wattage( 4x54 ) because of the increase in lumen output or go with the higher 8x54?

Tags
light, lighting, lighting upgrade, upgrade

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com