Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2006, 07:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wife = Hassle for blue tang, Me = Worried about whitespot

Hi,

My wife keeps hastling me over getting a regal tang for the aquarium. She loves the look (and I do too), but I'm really concerned about getting whitespot.

My tank hasn't had whitespot for about 2.5 to 3 years, though I am fully aware that probably doesn't amount to much.

Are there any ways to get a regal blue tang in without getting whitespot?

flanque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do you mean ich? Have you qt'd all of your fish since you've bought them? Was there once an outbreak in your tank? Did you go fallow for 6-8 weeks after the outbreak?

Old 09-27-2006, 07:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Even if you quarantine for two or three months, the stress of moving to a new tank would assuredly induce such a reaction.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah I mean ich. We call it whitespot here in AU.

Previously I haven't QT but I do now (since I have a QT available)... There was previously an outbreak introduced from one particular store (they're known for whitespot) which I do not purchase from anymore.

It's been 2.5 to 3 years since the whitespot has been present, during which there's been new rock, a move to a new house, other fish introduced, inverts and corals as well. Since the initial outbreak there hasn't been any disease in my tank, except for a cyno outbreak about 2 years ago.

I'd definately be QT any new fish that get added from now on, so that's a given.

Still, my concern is about the tang "developing" ich even if it doesn't have it. I've been told, though I don't know how it's possible, that blue tangs can "just get it" even if it doesn't exist in the tank in a symptom form. It's as though it's dormant inside the tank and just attacks blue tangs really easily. Not sure how much I believe of the LFS to be honest.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a blue face angel that was living alone for over two years, no ich. One day, my roommate left the door open (mid-winter) too long. The blue face had ich the next day. Living alone, for over two years!

Ich has a definate life-cycle. QTing fish is a good idea. Medicating sick fish is a good idea. You will not be able to completely rid the fish of all parasites, ever. They, like us, carry parasites at all times. It is only during periods of stress or duress that the immune system of the fish is put into question, and the symptoms of the parasites are noticable.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So the moral here as I keep telling my wife, blue tangs are out of the question.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Or, just be prepared to deal with the probable stress associated with it.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:29 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

If the info is right, and you have a 46 gallon tank then that would be too small. A 70 gallon minimum is needed for a blue tang. This would definitely be a form of stress.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It is right. I've seen others with them in smaller tanks and they seem to be fine. I guess it's just a gamble you can take.

What other blue fish of similar shape (i.e. not chromis or damsels) that you could suggest?
Old 09-27-2006, 09:21 PM   #10
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Is this a reef tank?

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue tang, tan, tang, whitespot

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com