Wife = Hassle for blue tang, Me = Worried about whitespot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flanque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi,

My wife keeps hastling me over getting a regal tang for the aquarium. She loves the look (and I do too), but I'm really concerned about getting whitespot.

My tank hasn't had whitespot for about 2.5 to 3 years, though I am fully aware that probably doesn't amount to much.

Are there any ways to get a regal blue tang in without getting whitespot?

Do you mean ich? Have you qt'd all of your fish since you've bought them? Was there once an outbreak in your tank? Did you go fallow for 6-8 weeks after the outbreak?

Even if you quarantine for two or three months, the stress of moving to a new tank would assuredly induce such a reaction.

Yeah I mean ich. We call it whitespot here in AU.

Previously I haven't QT but I do now (since I have a QT available)... There was previously an outbreak introduced from one particular store (they're known for whitespot) which I do not purchase from anymore.

It's been 2.5 to 3 years since the whitespot has been present, during which there's been new rock, a move to a new house, other fish introduced, inverts and corals as well. Since the initial outbreak there hasn't been any disease in my tank, except for a cyno outbreak about 2 years ago.

I'd definately be QT any new fish that get added from now on, so that's a given.

Still, my concern is about the tang "developing" ich even if it doesn't have it. I've been told, though I don't know how it's possible, that blue tangs can "just get it" even if it doesn't exist in the tank in a symptom form. It's as though it's dormant inside the tank and just attacks blue tangs really easily. Not sure how much I believe of the LFS to be honest.

I have a blue face angel that was living alone for over two years, no ich. One day, my roommate left the door open (mid-winter) too long. The blue face had ich the next day. Living alone, for over two years!

Ich has a definate life-cycle. QTing fish is a good idea. Medicating sick fish is a good idea. You will not be able to completely rid the fish of all parasites, ever. They, like us, carry parasites at all times. It is only during periods of stress or duress that the immune system of the fish is put into question, and the symptoms of the parasites are noticable.

So the moral here as I keep telling my wife, blue tangs are out of the question.

If the info is right, and you have a 46 gallon tank then that would be too small. A 70 gallon minimum is needed for a blue tang. This would definitely be a form of stress.

It is right. I've seen others with them in smaller tanks and they seem to be fine. I guess it's just a gamble you can take.

What other blue fish of similar shape (i.e. not chromis or damsels) that you could suggest?

Dunno if I'd call it that. It's got lots of corilamorphs and few other "things" which have just grown. Here's a link to my old post on that. That picture only has four of them clumped together, but now I have around twelve of them, and they just don't stop growing (I do target feed them with various foods all the time).

Other than that, there's nothing else in there except fish and a hermit crab.

Why's that?

I just did not want to suggest a fish that might munch your corals if you had any.

Been my experience with tangs (and I have & have had a few now) that not only is a proper acclimation necessary (highly advise a drip acclimation no matter the tang) but immediatly provide a fresh algae if possible, or else zoe soaked strips.

Tangs are sensitive to everything from the wrong look to the weakest of parasites.. I almost think they get 'sick' just because they know it'll get you to give them attention.

Highly recommend if you want to go with a regal or naso-esque etc etc to check out a 'product' called Tang Heaven from ipsf.com.
Basically the natural food for them, and if you have the dollars and space you can prop your own and feed them in doses.

Much better, imho, then sheet algae or your average lfs calurpa.

2 cents, take as ya will n good luck :)

A regal tang has no business being in a tank that small. They require swimming room. They get a foot long, that means it will be able to swish its fins about twice before running out of swimming room. There are many other fish out there that would be more appropriate. Seeing as ich is brought on by stress and you would be stuffing it into a small tank, that qualifies as stress and you can be assured, you will get ich.

As far as other people having them in tanks that small, I only have this to say, you can choose to do the right thing and be a conscientious fishkeeper, or choose to do the wrong thing for the sake of personal desire. Ultimately, you make your own choices. We can only point out what is best for the fish...

Hara I basically agree with you. It's my ultimate goal to be involved in reef conservation after my current career has expired (or bored me) in 10-15 years.

What about some suggestions of other smaller fish? I like anthias and other dwarf angels, though I'm suspect on adding say a bi-color angel with my coral beauty. I'd really like a flame angel but everything I've ready says its a no go with coral beauty angels (or other dwarf angels really).

Here's what I'd "like" to put in (not all of them, just here's what I like overall), conditional it's "appropriate":

- fire gobies (2x)
- red blenny (see my gallery for the other one that was killed by mantis)
- yellow tang
- annularis angel
- square box anthia
- bannerfish
- golden faced sleeper goby
- dragon wrasse
- rainbow wrasse

I do know anthias require a fiar amount of room as well... especially since they 'should be kept in schools' (depends on who you confer with I suppose), and types can be very territorial according to books.

Dwarf angels don't mix in a 'small' tank, they need lots of room and even then might still seak each other out for territorial matches.

regal tang

when i got my regal tang at the store, it didnt have ich.
but when i got him( i think its a male) home after i acclimated him and released in the tank he almost entirely lost his color. Then the next day he regained his color but had white spots which when away but came back from time to time. now he is fine no more spots i think they just get easily stressed

Yeah, but notice that I said I don't want them all.. of coarse not.. I just like these fish in general and would be looking to choose one from that list.

Back
Top Bottom