Wife's telling me it's time to do something!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bill0298

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I need some advice.. I have a 150gal tank that I'm in the process of setting up. Over the last two weeks I have added all of my live rock from my old tank in Okc, I now live in Iowa. Of course, I'm having some die-off from the rock that was just moved. I bought a Turbo Flotor 1000 skimmer to use with this tank. The only issue I'm having is the skimmate from the skimmer STINKS REALLY BAD! I seem to remember reading on this site a year or two ago that there was a way to keep the skimmate from stinking, but I can't seem to find that post.. Any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.... :)

Thanks..
Bill

by the way, I have tried to seal off the collection cup, but that just messes up the skimmer....

The situation is temporary...as soon as the skimmer is through having to deal with the die off, the bad smells will go away. You can cut down on the severity of this now, by emptying the skimmer daily.

If it didn't stick it wouldn't be doing its job. Besides cleaning the collection cup more often the only other thing I've heard people do is put a carbon filter over it to help absorb some odors. You could also run it a little wetter which helps slightly.

I know austinsdad has the carbon filter. You may want to PM him and see what he has and where he got his.

As Hara said this too will pass. I also agree with emptying the cup every day till it does.

Back
Top Bottom