Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2006, 11:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

wild fish and live rock?

Has anyone ever tried adding wild fish or live rock to their aquarium? I live in florida so the thought has crossed my mind.

Old 01-12-2006, 11:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

In most places in Florida it is illegal to harvest live rock from the ocean. I would strongly advise that you find out what the laws are in your area.

I have added wild fish... it was a HUGE mistake! Unless you have an id on the fish that is 100% I would not risk it. I added some kind of freaking wrasse... he ate every plant I had in the tank within 24 hours! Needless to say, he found himself back in the ocean the next day.

Adding wild fish also adds a risk of disease to your tank.

Old 01-13-2006, 10:45 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yes Live rock is illegal in florida. The best place for it is in the keys and they dont play around down there. They actually have undercover cops down there looking for people doing wrong stuff. I have a friend here in orlando who learned that lesson. As far as getting fish out of the wild. You have to have a florida saltwater license to collect oramental fish.
I have a french angel I caught as a juv. that has been with me for three years, probably my best fish. I also have filefish and he is doing great for about a year. I have also caught a queen that is in my friends tank for about 6 months now. I know there a chance of diease and such, but I guess i have been lucky.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:50 PM   #4

wild fish

do you only dive for them or is there anything this far north that i can wade for?
Old 01-13-2006, 03:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

no, nothing up here i have been to the cape and around. To cold up here the water dips a liitle more than it should for the good stuff like coral and shallow water inhabitants. Now if you had a boat there is a few reefs off canaveral, but about 2-3 miles off shore. Definently have to head south. If you have any other questions just ask. where are you at in orlando?
Old 01-13-2006, 10:36 PM   #6

orlando

I am on the west side. surrounded by metro west, dr phillips and windermere., how about you?
Old 01-14-2006, 02:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
Yeah like they said you need some type of license, than there are the rules and blah blah blah.

If you get wild fish quarantine them first.

Also, collecting live rock is highly illegal everywhere. IN some places like Hawaii you can take I think 1 pound per week or something like that, don't know for sure but that's what I was told.

Tags
live, live rock, rock, wild, wild fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com