wild fish and live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drdre

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone ever tried adding wild fish or live rock to their aquarium? I live in florida so the thought has crossed my mind. :)

In most places in Florida it is illegal to harvest live rock from the ocean. I would strongly advise that you find out what the laws are in your area.

I have added wild fish... it was a HUGE mistake! Unless you have an id on the fish that is 100% I would not risk it. I added some kind of freaking wrasse... he ate every plant I had in the tank within 24 hours! Needless to say, he found himself back in the ocean the next day.

Adding wild fish also adds a risk of disease to your tank.

Yes Live rock is illegal in florida. The best place for it is in the keys and they dont play around down there. They actually have undercover cops down there looking for people doing wrong stuff. I have a friend here in orlando who learned that lesson. As far as getting fish out of the wild. You have to have a florida saltwater license to collect oramental fish.
I have a french angel I caught as a juv. that has been with me for three years, probably my best fish. I also have filefish and he is doing great for about a year. I have also caught a queen that is in my friends tank for about 6 months now. I know there a chance of diease and such, but I guess i have been lucky.

no, nothing up here i have been to the cape and around. To cold up here the water dips a liitle more than it should for the good stuff like coral and shallow water inhabitants. Now if you had a boat there is a few reefs off canaveral, but about 2-3 miles off shore. Definently have to head south. If you have any other questions just ask. where are you at in orlando?

orlando

I am on the west side. surrounded by metro west, dr phillips and windermere., how about you?

Yeah like they said you need some type of license, than there are the rules and blah blah blah.

If you get wild fish quarantine them first.

Also, collecting live rock is highly illegal everywhere. IN some places like Hawaii you can take I think 1 pound per week or something like that, don't know for sure but that's what I was told.

Back
Top Bottom