Will a big water change affect my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmgixxer

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have posted threads about particles in my tank and I have not found a solution so I was thinking of doing a big water. Will this harm anything in my tank? I also want to do it because of the diatom bloom I keep getting.

I dont think so

I am not the smartest aquarist in the world but i have never heard of a water change harming a fish, but i have also never heard of a water change getting rid of algae

Well what I mainly want to get rid of Is the particles that are flying around in the water. As far as the diatoms well as long as I can clean them up so my tank looks nicer I'll be happy.

I thought maybe a big wyer change would be to much stress for the fish.

A big water change, depending on the fish and the size of the aquarium, will stress the fish. That is why it is advised that you only do one water change a day.

What size aquarium do you have?

What types of fish do you own?

In dire situations (i.e: ammonia spike), I've done as much as a 75% PWC to save the fish. That was, however, dire circumstances. Your diatoms will go away as your tank ages. Other types of algae blooms may actually be enhanced with water changes depending on the chemistry of your source water (high nitrates will aid some types of algae growth). Do you know what the source of the offending particles is? My first thought is to say that you remain patient and continue to perform normal water changes.

I have a 75 gallon. 2 clowns 2 gobes 1 damsel 2 yellow Tangs 12 snails 2 crabs.

I'm not sure what the particles are but it looks like snow lol.

I'm not sure what the particles are but it looks like snow lol.

Assuming that the cloudiness is not the sign of something wrong with you tank then I'd try using Tetra WaterClarifier. I've used it in the past with success. Admittedly, I'm a little anal about the clarity/health of my water and if I had been patient the filters would have done their job and cleared the water but I really love the look of water that almost seems to disappear because it's so clear :).

Just going out on a limb... Do your gobys dig in the sand? That might be why. Also they could be copepods that are forming. Just my two cents

I am the same way about my water that's why I am trying to see what's best.

You can do a very large water change but you need to mix salt at least 24 hours, have it heated to current tanks temp, and have SG the same as the tanks. A large water change will def kill algae as it removes the excess nutrients that the algae is feeding on. There almost nothing in the water that really benefit the fish that wont be replaced by the new water.

I mainly got those to clean my sand because of the diatoms.

2 yellow tangs in a 75. Just letting you know that's a bad idea and they'll be very susceptible to getting ich and dying.

So u suggest I separate them? Will the ich be less likely with one? I have a nano cube I can throw one in there.

You can't put a yellow tang in a cube. How in the world did you end up with two yellows ina 75? LOL

A friend gave me one that was getting rid of his tank so I took it

Back
Top Bottom