Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-10-2006, 09:17 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jasno999 Send a message via MSN to jasno999
I have a 10gallon tank with a 96W power compaq floresent. Would I be able to keep a clam? Wht kinds would I be able to keep?

Old 02-10-2006, 10:59 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasno999
I have a 10gallon tank with a 96W power compaq floresent. Would I be able to keep a clam? Wht kinds would I be able to keep?
I would not attempt a clam in such a small tank.

3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 04:27 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

why?
Old 02-10-2006, 09:19 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

jasno999, Most people will tell you water quality/conditions in a 10G (Nano) are hard to maint. They would be correct. However, a Crocea clam only gets to be about 6 inches, so its a great nano possibility provided you supply a good sand bed and room to grow. You must consider though that water flow, lighting and feeding in such a small tank may cause challanges. Imagine feeding a clam in 10G. 1 feeding you will have significantly polluted the tank. (They filter feed). Again though with strict prompt maint its a very possible scenario with a small clam. If you decide to do it please do keep us posted, maybe some photos.

Peace.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:59 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm assuming the same goes for a 20gal as well? I'm upgrading to 6.5wpg PC and was hoping to get a clam eventually. Could I try shooting some phyto his way with a turkey baster instead of flooding the tank? Any advice on this would be great. Thanks!
Old 02-11-2006, 03:32 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Most 'serious' reef keepers always target feed their animals. Its not so much that concentrating the food in one spot won't help, but since there would be little else in the tank to consume it (assuming 10G) alot would get into the water column and then simply sucked into filtration. I am not recommending this idea for smaller tanks only stating that its completely possible *if* you are willing to put together the proper conditions and adhere to a real tight maint schedule.

Peace.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:55 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am not goign to try a clam. I would just kill it. I am using the 10gallon nano type setup to grow some easier corals and get my hands wet in the hobby. I would like to get a 90-120 gallon setup someday when I have my own house. However I may have to settle for a 55gallon due to all the costs. My girlfriend currently has a 55gallon and it could be converted with a lot less cost than buying everyhting new for a 90+ gallon. All I knwo is that I would really liek to do that some day but it is all about the costs.

For now I am goign to try to keep what I have healthy and growing. I figure if I can keep the 10 gallon going then I should be able to keep a larger tank with more ease.

I am having water quality issues and algae is everywhere. I am trying to get it fixed thru water changes and what not but nothing helps. The seaclon skimmer I have is not producing again so it is not helping. All it is doign now is throwing a lot of bubbles into my system. I had it going good with a few mods for liek 2 weeks nand now it is back to being crappy. I am trying but it is an uphill battle.

Tags
clam

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com