Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-29-2005, 05:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Will a clam do well in my aquarium?

I would like to try and put one of the hardier clams in my tank. The problem is that I don't have metal halide...if I put it high up near the lights, and feed it with a syringe, what do you think my chances are for success? Will it maintain its color and vitality?

Old 09-29-2005, 05:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What type of ligths do you have. There are certain types of clams that will do OK under CF lighting, but most everybody will tell you that you need MH!!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Jermz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 06:06 PM   #3

kind of lights

I have 125 watts...2 white and 2 blue...
Old 09-29-2005, 06:07 PM   #4

I have 125 watts...2 white and 2 blue...
Old 09-29-2005, 06:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

What type of clam are you looking to get? What size is your tank? You will most likely need more lighting in any case, MH most likely.

Mike
Old 09-29-2005, 06:35 PM   #6

I have a 37 gallon reef tank...with 125 watts of lighting...half blue/half white...I would put clam at top of reef, about 4 inches below lights, and feed with a syringe...I'm told there are a couple of hardier clam types that might work...
Old 09-29-2005, 06:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't think it would be enough light though. Someone here with clam experience may be able to suggest a clam that requires less light. From what I have read, clams do well under MH.

Mike
Old 09-30-2005, 10:00 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

That would really be pushing it. I had a clam up top with PC's under about 5wpg and it did great. It's loving the MH's now BTW...
Old 09-30-2005, 11:26 AM   #9
steve-s

Lower light demanding clams also do not do well when placed on hard surfaces. They need to be placed on a soft sandy substrate which in this case would mean insufficient light. While still small >3", clams are primarily filter feeders and slowly change their food source from phyto feeding to relying on zooxanthellae. As the clams grows, the lack of light will mean not receiving enough energy from the stores in it's tissues even if you try direct feedings. As a result the clam will begin over producing zooxanthellae in an attempt to compensate which stresses their health severely. I would not suggest you try keeping any clam unless you upgrade the lights.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-30-2005, 11:47 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have been told by reef aquarium experts that clams do not require metal halide lighting to thrive. While MH is optimal, a clam can live and maintain color and vitility under Compact Flo. Lighting, VHO lighting, and other types of high output light. The most important thing is that you have the wattage and the spectrum. For most clams 4-5 watts per gallon, especially of non-MH light is pushing it. I have two clams a Dersea and a Maxim under 7.5 watts per gallon of compact flo. lighting and I have seen impressive growth. My tank is a 75 but its a shallow tank, only 12 inches deep as opposed to most 75's that are 18 at least. That way the clams get good light penetration.

For now I would recommend stronger lights before keeping any clams, like steve-s said above. Clams typically feed on photo and zoo plankton particales in the water, and pick up whatever access they can get from the zooxanthellae that lives in thier tissues. Under less than optimum conditions they are stressed from either too little plankton or the effort to create more zoo to compensate for dietary needs.

Tags
clam

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com