Will a clam do well in my aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reeftankman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I would like to try and put one of the hardier clams in my tank. The problem is that I don't have metal halide...if I put it high up near the lights, and feed it with a syringe, what do you think my chances are for success? Will it maintain its color and vitality?

What type of ligths do you have. There are certain types of clams that will do OK under CF lighting, but most everybody will tell you that you need MH!!

What type of clam are you looking to get? What size is your tank? You will most likely need more lighting in any case, MH most likely.

Mike

I have a 37 gallon reef tank...with 125 watts of lighting...half blue/half white...I would put clam at top of reef, about 4 inches below lights, and feed with a syringe...I'm told there are a couple of hardier clam types that might work...

I don't think it would be enough light though. Someone here with clam experience may be able to suggest a clam that requires less light. From what I have read, clams do well under MH.

Mike

That would really be pushing it. I had a clam up top with PC's under about 5wpg and it did great. It's loving the MH's now BTW...

Lower light demanding clams also do not do well when placed on hard surfaces. They need to be placed on a soft sandy substrate which in this case would mean insufficient light. While still small >3", clams are primarily filter feeders and slowly change their food source from phyto feeding to relying on zooxanthellae. As the clams grows, the lack of light will mean not receiving enough energy from the stores in it's tissues even if you try direct feedings. As a result the clam will begin over producing zooxanthellae in an attempt to compensate which stresses their health severely. I would not suggest you try keeping any clam unless you upgrade the lights.

Cheers
Steve

I have been told by reef aquarium experts that clams do not require metal halide lighting to thrive. While MH is optimal, a clam can live and maintain color and vitility under Compact Flo. Lighting, VHO lighting, and other types of high output light. The most important thing is that you have the wattage and the spectrum. For most clams 4-5 watts per gallon, especially of non-MH light is pushing it. I have two clams a Dersea and a Maxim under 7.5 watts per gallon of compact flo. lighting and I have seen impressive growth. My tank is a 75 but its a shallow tank, only 12 inches deep as opposed to most 75's that are 18 at least. That way the clams get good light penetration.

For now I would recommend stronger lights before keeping any clams, like steve-s said above. Clams typically feed on photo and zoo plankton particales in the water, and pick up whatever access they can get from the zooxanthellae that lives in thier tissues. Under less than optimum conditions they are stressed from either too little plankton or the effort to create more zoo to compensate for dietary needs.

jasno999, Most people will tell you water quality/conditions in a 10G (Nano) are hard to maint. They would be correct. However, a Crocea clam only gets to be about 6 inches, so its a great nano possibility provided you supply a good sand bed and room to grow. You must consider though that water flow, lighting and feeding in such a small tank may cause challanges. Imagine feeding a clam in 10G. 1 feeding you will have significantly polluted the tank. (They filter feed). Again though with strict prompt maint its a very possible scenario with a small clam. If you decide to do it please do keep us posted, maybe some photos.

Peace.

I'm assuming the same goes for a 20gal as well? I'm upgrading to 6.5wpg PC and was hoping to get a clam eventually. Could I try shooting some phyto his way with a turkey baster instead of flooding the tank? Any advice on this would be great. Thanks!

Most 'serious' reef keepers always target feed their animals. Its not so much that concentrating the food in one spot won't help, but since there would be little else in the tank to consume it (assuming 10G) alot would get into the water column and then simply sucked into filtration. I am not recommending this idea for smaller tanks only stating that its completely possible *if* you are willing to put together the proper conditions and adhere to a real tight maint schedule.

Peace.

I am not goign to try a clam. I would just kill it. I am using the 10gallon nano type setup to grow some easier corals and get my hands wet in the hobby. I would like to get a 90-120 gallon setup someday when I have my own house. However I may have to settle for a 55gallon due to all the costs. My girlfriend currently has a 55gallon and it could be converted with a lot less cost than buying everyhting new for a 90+ gallon. All I knwo is that I would really liek to do that some day but it is all about the costs.

For now I am goign to try to keep what I have healthy and growing. I figure if I can keep the 10 gallon going then I should be able to keep a larger tank with more ease.

I am having water quality issues and algae is everywhere. I am trying to get it fixed thru water changes and what not but nothing helps. The seaclon skimmer I have is not producing again so it is not helping. All it is doign now is throwing a lot of bubbles into my system. I had it going good with a few mods for liek 2 weeks nand now it is back to being crappy. I am trying but it is an uphill battle.

Back
Top Bottom