Will a red hermit crab try and eat a small starfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

L2

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey I just got a starfish and he's healthy and seems very happy in the tank. My red hermit crab is staring right at him though!!! And I'm wondering if he's going to try and eat him??? Do hermit crabs eat starfish? Thoughts?

Attachments

• img_2532_2_194.jpg
    img_2532_2_194.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 152
Do hermot crabs eat star fish?

I am curious too.
My starfish, let's just say, is no longer. And if I didn't know better, I'd say my crab was looking smug. Jeff

Welll... LOL. Actually if we were to apply your philosphy — everything/anything living (human, plant and or animal) is dieing from day 1...

*shakes his head*

Keep in mind, most starfish are already dying by the time you buy them from the LFS.
I think demodiki means that most starfish are dying when you buy them due to gathering and handling techniques because they are very sensitive. This would be a correct statement. This is especially true with linkias

I agree the starfish would have to be sick or dying for the hermit to be interested. It would take a pretty hungry hermit to attack an otherwise healthy starfish.

Back
Top Bottom