Will a sand sifter star be bad in a new 55 gal tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XXFirefighter

Aquarium Advice Addict
My cycled tank with 5 fish in it and few snails and hermits needs to have the sand mixed, I can tell already. The top layer of sand is getting "yucky"
There is some life in the live sand I got from liverocks.com. Will the sifter kill EVERYTING in my sand bed or will he also scavange the left over food?
Thanks !
Rich

I would stay away from anything that sifts sand (ie sand sifting stars, orange spot gobies, etc), as it will severely deplete your sand infauna population. Instead, I would recommend getting some cerith and nassarius snails... they will help keep the sand clean without damaging the infauna. Fighting conchs are also good...

kreach said:
I would stay away from anything that sifts sand (ie sand sifting stars, orange spot gobies, etc), as it will severely deplete your sand infauna population. Instead, I would recommend getting some cerith and nassarius snails... they will help keep the sand clean without damaging the infauna. Fighting conchs are also good...

Ok, thanks !

Back
Top Bottom