Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-18-2005, 04:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

will a small airpump keep my fish alive during power outage?

im starting to get a bit worried, hurricane season is coming around, and theres a good chance of a power outage. i was thinking the only thing i need during a power outage is air for the fish, atleast thats what i think? I live in south fl, so i dont use a heater, temp is stable at 80-81 degrees.

would getting a small air pump, and a UPC to power it of some sort? What do you guys think? Would corals and liverock be ok?

Im trying to work out getting a generator, but so far no good. It would run the fridge, and my tank lol.

any tips, suggestions. would be great. thanks! im all worried over here

1 Blue tail Damsel(sad that he's goin back too )
1 TR Percula Clown
1 Cleaner shrimp
2 Peppermint shrimps
2 Emerald crabs(3rd went back to LFS)
10 blue legged hermits
15 astrea snails
bawla47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 05:14 PM   #2
zacdl

Well if you could get some sort of a nitrate reducer as well, that would help too (But since most outages last a week I wouldnt worry too much)

They make battery powered air pumps.
Old 06-18-2005, 05:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I used battery operated air pumps for the power outages due to the hurricanes last year. They work great and I still haven't had to replace the batteries. I got mine at Walmart in the fishing section because fisherman use them to transport bait. They cost me something like $6 and they come with a bubble stone.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

battery air pump it is!. now i gotta find a battery powered fan, cuz i think temp might be an issue. thanks for the help.

1 Blue tail Damsel(sad that he's goin back too )
1 TR Percula Clown
1 Cleaner shrimp
2 Peppermint shrimps
2 Emerald crabs(3rd went back to LFS)
10 blue legged hermits
15 astrea snails
bawla47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 10:11 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazeherd2306
I used battery operated air pumps for the power outages due to the hurricanes last year. They work great and I still haven't had to replace the batteries. I got mine at Walmart in the fishing section because fisherman use them to transport bait. They cost me something like $6 and they come with a bubble stone.
A battery-powered pump got me through hurricane Isabel with no fish losses. $6 @ Walmart? I don't even want to talk about what I paid for my pump at the lfs the day before the hurricane. I got ripped off!

Some reefkeepers also had power inverters that plug into the cigarette lighter in their vehicles. They would plug the powerheads into the inverter and run those periodically during the power outage.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of Liberty -JFK
fishyrican is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live, power outage

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com