will a small airpump keep my fish alive during power outage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bawla47

Aquarium Advice Activist
im starting to get a bit worried, hurricane season is coming around, and theres a good chance of a power outage. i was thinking the only thing i need during a power outage is air for the fish, atleast thats what i think? I live in south fl, so i dont use a heater, temp is stable at 80-81 degrees.

would getting a small air pump, and a UPC to power it of some sort? What do you guys think? Would corals and liverock be ok?

Im trying to work out getting a generator, but so far no good. It would run the fridge, and my tank lol.

any tips, suggestions. would be great. thanks! im all worried over here :roll:

Well if you could get some sort of a nitrate reducer as well, that would help too (But since most outages last a week I wouldnt worry too much)

They make battery powered air pumps.

I used battery operated air pumps for the power outages due to the hurricanes last year. They work great and I still haven't had to replace the batteries. I got mine at Walmart in the fishing section because fisherman use them to transport bait. They cost me something like $6 and they come with a bubble stone.

battery air pump it is!. now i gotta find a battery powered fan, cuz i think temp might be an issue. thanks for the help.

Blazeherd2306 said:
I used battery operated air pumps for the power outages due to the hurricanes last year. They work great and I still haven't had to replace the batteries. I got mine at Walmart in the fishing section because fisherman use them to transport bait. They cost me something like $6 and they come with a bubble stone.

A battery-powered pump got me through hurricane Isabel with no fish losses. $6 @ Walmart? :evil: I don't even want to talk about what I paid for my pump at the lfs the day before the hurricane. I got ripped off!

Some reefkeepers also had power inverters that plug into the cigarette lighter in their vehicles. They would plug the powerheads into the inverter and run those periodically during the power outage.

Back
Top Bottom