Will Actinics Grow Mushrooms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am starting a Mushroom reef tank, I want it to be blue so I want to use 2x Coralife 24watt t5ho Actinic bulbs but dont know if that will be enough light for good growth. What do you guys think?

I've had mushrooms grow under PC's so i think you should be able to grow them just fine with your lighting

They will grow but it wont look as nice. Some actinic is needed but you need some white to make it pleasing to the eye.

They may live, but I doubt you will see much, if any growth. They are low light corals but actinics only are really low light.

well here are my bulb options I have

2x 10000k whites
1x 6500k whites
2x Actinics
1x "Blue" has much brighter color then the actinics might be similar to the "blue+" but not an ATI bulb.

Will upgrade to ATI bulbs on this fixture down the line but I just bought 4 and dont want to buy 2 more just yet haha.

The blue will hit the 480 nanometer spectrum needed for corals rather than actinic in the violet peaking at 420, the white will introduce between 580-650 aswell for the corals to have full ability to feed and grow. The 10k will hit all of these but you want to achieve more on the blue side rather than full spectrum.

Maybe the blue and 6500 if your looking for more of a blue look.

Will the 6500k offer enough light for the tank? Lots of things I read says corals need 10000k. I am looking for a blue look. Just want it to look good but more emportently give mushrooms what they need for light. Not much point in having good lighting if the lights dont grow what I want to look at.

All depends on depth of tank how much water the light needs to penetrate, clarity of water and placement of the mushrooms, I would do a 10k and blue for corals sake but the 10k may drown the blue to much not to achieve the look you want.

I would go 10k and actinic. 6500k will give it more of a yellow look where 10k is white.

I would go 10k and actinic. 6500k will give it more of a yellow look where 10k is white.

Yeah that's what I thought and I hate a yellow tank. Its tough to tell what the 10k and blue look like when the tank is completely clouded up. I just moved the tank and put new sand in it so there's a sand storm going on right now.

Back
Top Bottom