Will any fish hurt anenomes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im thinking about picking up an anenomes for my fowlr tank. I has reef lighting so lighting isn't and issue and it has been up for 8+ months. Will any fish try to kill them? I also have a snowflake eel, Koran angel, cat shark, dragon wrasse

What kind of lighting, what size tank? I wouldn't necessarily be worried about the fish.

If fish arnt to be worried about everything else is fine. I know how to take care of nems just wanted my make sure my dragon wrasse wouldn't think of it as a treat to nip at

The I only fish im aware of that eat anemones are batfish. Mine has killed like 3-4 anemones until I finally figured it out.

Im pretty sure mexican red legged hermits will eat nems. That may be just condy anemones though. Not sure

K cool just lettin you know for future reference. What kinds of nems are you looking at?

K cool just lettin you know for future reference. What kinds of nems are you looking at?

Probably bubble tip...I would really like a sabae but liveaquaria says they are difficult but I dont understand what they mean by difficult. so it makes me skeptical

Ive tried a RBTA and it didnt work out so well for me. I also had a couple condys for a while and loved them... They just got big for my little 29gal. I now have a GBTA and i love it. I think i like it more than a rose. It havent had any problems with it. I strongly recommend trying a condy or a few(depending on your tank size). There are some beautiful colors.

Ive tried a RBTA and it didnt work out so well for me. I also had a couple condys for a while and loved them... They just got big for my little 29gal. I now have a GBTA and i love it. I think i like it more than a rose. It havent had any problems with it. I strongly recommend trying a condy or a few(depending on your tank size). There are some beautiful colors.

nice call. they seem rather cheap so I could get a few of them and taht would be even better. thanks for the info!

CleverBs said:
lol how is that relevant, The tank was made for SPS so it can support any nem

To be honest, I find it weird having a shark in a tank built for sps. I am always interested in the welfare of animals, although my input is not relevant and my opinion does not matter.

If I can spark up info to better assist another aquarist, I will. Hens, lighting and size of the tank for the next person to come along who wants to keep this same setup. I think having a shark in a tank under 200g with a nem is a bad idea... for the sharks health.

Further, if you do have a big tank, you obviously need allot of water movement. I'd be worried of the nem getting into a powerhead and polluting the tank, thus killing the shark and other inhabitants. This is assuming you have power heads and are not just relying on your sump return to turn the water.

Never had someone avoid a simple question. Just find it weird. Most are normally happy to share little info like this to help other aquarist...

He has a interesting way in presenting his questions. If its a black banded cat shark it can get to three and a half feet. So happy day. Big anemones are the least problem unless we have a lot of water here. We all act nosey on this forum because everyone is trying to help. When you have had as many disasters...after taking every precaution as we have over the years, we try to help that not happen to others. So take it for what you paid for it. The cat shark can be re-homed when it gets too big, so no big deal there if it doesn't eat it's tank mates. ;-)

Last edited:
To be honest, I find it weird having a shark in a tank built for sps. I am always interested in the welfare of animals, although my input is not relevant and my opinion does not matter.

If I can spark up info to better assist another aquarist, I will. Hens, lighting and size of the tank for the next person to come along who wants to keep this same setup. I think having a shark in a tank under 200g with a nem is a bad idea... for the sharks health.

Further, if you do have a big tank, you obviously need allot of water movement. I'd be worried of the nem getting into a powerhead and polluting the tank, thus killing the shark and other inhabitants. This is assuming you have power heads and are not just relying on your sump return to turn the water.

Never had someone avoid a simple question. Just find it weird. Most are normally happy to share little info like this to help other aquarist...

I just get tired of answering that question on this forum no matter what you post...Sorry I was just annoyed at the time not really sure why, so i apologize. Im mainly dodging the question because if I say 75g which it is and shark in the same thread I get flamed even though I have his life and well being all planned out but If i dont explain what his stage by stage movement is I get flamed for basically not wanting to go into extensive detail of my future plans. (not saying you are doing this just explaining why i was avoiding it)

I to am of course worried about the nem getting in the power heads. I was going to look into putting some kind of guard on them after I figured out what I was going to do. I use my 500gph return pump, and 2x 1250 korilias.

That should be plenty of flow for a 75. If you can alternate a flow pattern with a few more power heads, it would be good. A cheap power strip is available on EBay that will time power heads and produce a surge action in the tank. I found this very helpful in keeping detritus from accumulating and the corals seem to like it, especially the softies.

As far as fish hurting anemones, it is usually the other way round. I never had a bat fish, but everything else I have ever had left them alone, except clown fish of course.

That should be plenty of flow for a 75. If you can alternate a flow pattern with a few more power heads, it would be good. A cheap power strip is available on EBay that will time power heads and produce a surge action in the tank. I found this very helpful in keeping detritus from accumulating and the corals seem to like it, especially the softies.

As far as fish hurting anemones, it is usually the other way round. I never had a bat fish, but everything else I have ever had left them alone, except clown fish of course.

I am actually looking for that right now because I had an MP 10 in the tank but now its in my 40g Reef. Could you link me to the item you are referring to?

I use the same wave maker and it works well and it's easy to use and adjust. One thing to keep in mind is that koralias don't seem to do well on wavemakers. They claim they do but lots of people have issues. I personally had two of mine actually break the front grills by firing up in reverse. Keep them clean and it helps, now that being said when mine broke the grills I contacted koralia through their website and they sent me 6 new grills at no cost.

Back
Top Bottom