Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2003, 10:46 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Will brown algae kill off Coraline?

With my new MH lights algae has been growing like crazy the last couple days also due to the fact that my RO unit is not here yet so its all faucet water w/ conditoner added and I only have about 15 snails currently. Should I just keep running the lights 10-12 hours and my snails can clean up when they get here this wednesday or should I reduce it until get more snails and my RO? I just don't want the brown or whatever new algae that grows to overtake and kill all the coraline on my LR

Old 11-22-2003, 11:01 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Re: Will brown algae kill off Coraline?

doulbe post by accident

Old 11-22-2003, 01:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

It wont hurt the coralline. Coralline has properties that make it not possible for the brown algae to adhere to it. Algae forms over the rock but corraline will actually bond to the rock and have to be scraped off. I wouldnt worry.
Old 11-22-2003, 03:20 PM   #4
steve-s

Once you start using the RO water, the diatoms should subside eventually. Snails will not do much as most animals will ignore diatoms for the most part. As long as you are using tap water it will continue to introduce PO4 and silicate into the tank and fuel the algae growth. This is by far more the problem than the lights. I would suggest getting a high quality PO4 granular sponge as most will also help take care of the silicates as well. The coralline will definately recover once the diatoms subside.

Cheers
Steve
Old 11-22-2003, 03:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-s
I would suggest getting a high quality PO4 granular sponge as most will also help take care of the silicates as well.
Cheers
Steve
do you know what this sponge is called or what company makes them?
Old 11-22-2003, 04:04 PM   #6
steve-s

Phosguard, Kent and RowaPhos should be good ones.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
algae, brown algae, coral, coraline

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com