Will different clowns pair up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

armyman16

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just bought an Ocellaris and a Ocellaris misbar clownfish. Will these pair up? They are very small maybe 1-1.5 inches each. I'm going to be putting them In a 75 gallon and will be adding a torch coral soon and the only other coral is a cauliflower colt.

I have a maroon and a black and white that are paired. The maroon is twice the size so I think that helped.

Ok thanks and they definitely will! I added them in the tank an hour ago and haven't separated since!

Meganinez said:
They are beautiful are you gonna get them a anomie?

Tank is still to new for for but I might in a couple months

I have a pic but the app Ian lettin me post it, not sure why. It says it exceeds my quota? I've posted pics before and I haven't changed anything. I can email it to someone that can post it on here for me

armyman16 said:
I have a pic but the app Ian lettin me post it, not sure why. It says it exceeds my quota? I've posted pics before and I haven't changed anything. I can email it to someone that can post it on here for me

You need to remove old pictures, I believe you have to do it on the computer. Look for a menu option on the left in user control panel or profile, the option is "manage attachments".

Well sadly the misbar has passed, I still have the normal Ocellaris though. Will he pair up with one 2-2.5 inches? I can't find them as small as he is very easily.
I still have a pic of the misbar though and I will post ASAP

Well sadly the misbar has passed, I still have the normal Ocellaris though. Will he pair up with one 2-2.5 inches? I can't find them as small as he is very easily.
I still have a pic of the misbar though and I will post ASAP

Yeah most likely he will.I got mine to pair with a larger one after my misbar died as well. Did you get the misbar from petco? I got a misbar from petco two weeks ago and it passed as well within days.

bigben2057 said:
Yeah most likely he will.I got mine to pair with a larger one after my misbar died as well. Did you get the misbar from petco? I got a misbar from petco two weeks ago and it passed as well within days.

No at just one of my independently owned local pet stores. My Petco and my pet smart don't sell any saltwater stuff! Idk why. So if I bought a bigger Ocellaris they would eventually pair?
I have 2 about 2 inch clownfish in my 20 gallon and they've been in there for probably 4 months and one still chases the other! If I took one out of there and added him in the 75 would they pair up?

It's hit and miss sometimes. As long as one is bigger than it shouldn't be a problem. Like mine in the pic of the maroon and black and white. My maroon is double in size and I didn't have a problem. They are always near each other. The dominate one becomes the female. So the black and white didn't have a choice really. That's what I believe anyway lol. So I would just try to find one that's bigger. Don't wait to long cause the one you have will get comfortable and then might not like a new one.

Could I add te one from my 20 gallon? I have 2 in my 20 and they are the same size and still not get along. They are both bigger than the one in my 75

armyman16 said:
Could I add te one from my 20 gallon? I have 2 in my 20 and they are the same size and still not get along. They are both bigger than the one in my 75

Ya if they are the same size you may be wise to toss one in the other tank. I would try to pick the smaller of the two to move. Some aggression is expected though as its part of the pairing process. There will be mild aggression to establish dominance and over time it will subside, you may also see fin nipping and one of the fish doing a seizure looking move, that's it showing submission.

kdpuffer said:
Ya if they are the same size you may be wise to toss one in the other tank. I would try to pick the smaller of the two to move. Some aggression is expected though as its part of the pairing process. There will be mild aggression to establish dominance and over time it will subside, you may also see fin nipping and one of the fish doing a seizure looking move, that's it showing submission.

Yeah they've been together for months now with no progress, one is hosting my wall hammer so I won't be moving him. An he's been the aggressive one

armyman16 said:
Yeah they've been together for months now with no progress, one is hosting my wall hammer so I won't be moving him. An he's been the aggressive one

Well that one is more than likely the female then. With luck the other one is still male and can go in with the little guy and then pair off and do the sex change thing. FYI if you didn't already know all clowns start off as males then the most dominant one becomes female and chooses a mate. Once female they can't go back to being male and two females together usually ends bad.

kdpuffer said:
Well that one is more than likely the female then. With luck the other one is still male and can go in with the little guy and then pair off and do the sex change thing. FYI if you didn't already know all clowns start off as males then the most dominant one becomes female and chooses a mate. Once female they can't go back to being male and two females together usually ends bad.

Yeah, or maybe their both females? Then wouldn't that be the best so that the big one is already a female and the little is still a male?
So I should move it over? I want to be positive before doing it because it'd be hard to get him back out!

Back
Top Bottom