Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2009, 07:43 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

if you think you want to try a sw tank try it now while you dont need to spend the money on life (mortgage, car, kids, lots of other bills) and by the time you do have those you will have a nice tank to take with you.
i think you will regret it if you dont try.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:08 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

give it a go. Make sure dad is happy about it! He will be very useful with water changes and support (money)

Old 08-17-2009, 09:54 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I, like everyone else, say go for it. It really is an awesome experience and having had FW tanks all my life, having a SW is so much more rewarding and its so different. It really does teach you some discipline and responsibility so just do it!
Old 08-17-2009, 11:30 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've had aquariums for about nine years. My only regret is that I didn't get into SW sooner, lol. I still love FW, but you just can't compare the biodiversity living on just one piece of live rock let alone the whole tank.

I set up my tank about a month ago and I'm loving every minute of it.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:44 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I want to thank you guys for your support. I really needed it. I think i am still going for it. I have a special place in my heart for FW and i doubt SW could take that spot but you never know. Again, thanks guys.

Quick question for my dad. I broke the news to him last night about keeping a trashcan with water in it to mix the salt into the water. So i ask you where do you keep your mixing container? Also what kind of salt do you use?
Old 08-17-2009, 12:50 PM   #16
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

IME there seems to be more work/maint than FW but if you do about 15-20 mins a day it`s not really that bad. I`m glad I made the switch.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:31 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah I have been tossing the idea around as well. But the ex wife/child support makes it a bit cost prohibitive at the moment.

Not sure where you are living or how old you are. Tell your dad you will cut lawns/landscape or flip burgers or find some sort of part time job in order to help pay the electric bill and other things you will need for the tank. That should tell him how serious you are when you follow through on the promise to find a job to help pay for your hobby.

For me, I know right now I don't think I have teh time or money to go SW but I would like to.

Listen to the folks on here as they are very helpful. I have learned a lot in a short time about FW.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:20 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPKeenan View Post
Not sure where you are living or how old you are. Tell your dad you will cut lawns/landscape or flip burgers or find some sort of part time job in order to help pay the electric bill and other things you will need for the tank. That should tell him how serious you are when you follow through on the promise to find a job to help pay for your hobby.

For me, I know right now I don't think I have teh time or money to go SW but I would like to.

Listen to the folks on here as they are very helpful. I have learned a lot in a short time about FW.
I am 17, i have been keeping FW fish by myself for about 6 years now, and before that me and my dad have always done fish together. He dosen't like SW because he doesn't want to do the work. And he is finally starting to support me a little bit and i am getting happier about the situation now. He is not necessarily liking it, but he does support me with my fish keeping. I think he is scared that i am going to move out and leave all the fish behind for him to take care of. He says he is tired of having the responsibilities of a animal owner do to he has been doing it his whole life which i can understand. Even though i complain i really am lucky that he is supportive. As of the job aspect i work part time at a sports bar called beef o bradys. And yes, they are making me pay the electric bill for this aquarium obsession i have. My parents did this anyways with all my brothers and sisters (i am the youngest). When we get older and have a job we take over 1 bill to used to being on our own and paying bills. It is just instead of paying part of the electric bill or taking over a cheaper bill i am paying the electric bill completely do to the fish tanks i have.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etunes View Post
I am 17, i have been keeping FW fish by myself for about 6 years now, and before that me and my dad have always done fish together. He dosen't like SW because he doesn't want to do the work. And he is finally starting to support me a little bit and i am getting happier about the situation now. He is not necessarily liking it, but he does support me with my fish keeping. I think he is scared that i am going to move out and leave all the fish behind for him to take care of. He says he is tired of having the responsibilities of a animal owner do to he has been doing it his whole life which i can understand. Even though i complain i really am lucky that he is supportive. As of the job aspect i work part time at a sports bar called beef o bradys. And yes, they are making me pay the electric bill for this aquarium obsession i have. My parents did this anyways with all my brothers and sisters (i am the youngest). When we get older and have a job we take over 1 bill to used to being on our own and paying bills. It is just instead of paying part of the electric bill or taking over a cheaper bill i am paying the electric bill completely do to the fish tanks i have.
Well hey, that sounds good to me. At least it teaches you some responsibility and if you really want the SW, then go for it. Never not do something that you really want because of other people and if your dad supports you and you can pay the bill then why not!
Old 08-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
I like that, that's a good way to learn. I know some people now who can't deal with money at all because their parents paid for everything.

Your dad will enjoy it once he sees it, i'm sure. It's different seeing the fish and thinking about it and having them in the living room.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com