Will mantis shrimps' click break glass???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have heard click click click going on at night am not sure they are mantis or pistol shrimp. But with that huge amount of rocks I would think there must be a few mantis in there. I don't mind the pistol but am worry that mantis would break my glass of my 132g (10mm thick) then that would be a disaster.

Also I don't want to move the rocks again as I already like the way they look not to mention to get everything out again just to catch the mantis (who knows if there is any in there).

Therefore I just want to know any one has any ACTUAL experience or heard anything about mantis breaking the glass???

Mantis

It is highly unlikely. Most of the concern would be for smaller tanks with thinner glass and not all species can do it.

One that is supposedly well known is the Peacock Mantis and even then, it would have to be a good size.

Most of the Mantis that come in on LR are very small. If they were not, you would have probably seen it. Where did you get your LR?

So I would not worry because 1 It is probably small
2 You have thick glass
3 Probably not the species that would

I had 3 in my 30 gal for over two weeks and I absolutely freaked before I learned more about them.

EDIT: If you have not already, I would wait to add fish and critters until you figure it out.

Here is a link someone sent me a while back with different ID's. Notice there are two kinds of claws species have: spearers, and smashers.

Back
Top Bottom