Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-26-2008, 08:57 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Post a pic if possible

Old 05-26-2008, 09:21 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

My camera batteries died here are 2 pics the first is about 3weeks ago and the second was the pic when it was at the LFS

Click image for larger version

Name:	msbeanctr shipment photo 004 Large Web view.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	13604

Click image for larger version

Name:	03-25_003_[1024x768][1] Large Web view.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	13605

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Tissue looks just fine from that side in your first pic. You can keep trying to tease them out through basting (have patience) and as long as you do not notice any recession I do not see a problem. These corals are photosynthetic so if it does not feel the need to feed than just keep optimal water quality
Old 05-27-2008, 01:01 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

You don't need tentacles exposed for it to feed... it will pull stuff into its mouth via the mucous coat you can't see.

Granted, I don't have the same type of coral as you, but with my brain (platygyra) I baste it once a week with a little bit of Little Fishies Zooplan, about an hour after lights off. No visible tentacles appear nowadays, but within about 5 minutes of feeding I see the mucous coat pulling food into the mouths. In the first few months, tentacles would appear on the polyps around the edge of the colony. Now I don't see them. I think between the lighting and the "gunk" in my tank, it's getting most of what it needs without the feedings. The feedings are just like a little treat!

Don't expect to see a bunch of growth. As Innovator mentioned, as long as you don't see recession or any other signs of trouble, I think things are fine.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:10 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think regular feeding (1-3 times weekly) of larger food items (such as mysis shrimp) will help accelerate growth rate with LPS such favia, as it provides the coral with nutrition in addition to what it is receiving via light and ideal water parameters (calcium, biocarbonate, etc). With that said, they can also thrive without regular feeding.

As previously stated, feeder tentacles typically extend at night or when food is sensed in the water (and these food items are readily captured and consumed when contacted by these tentacles).

I prefer to target feed my favia. Each individual polyp is actually capable of consuming multiple mysis shrimp. Larger food items can only be consumed when the tentacles are extended. I've actually seen my favia capture live foods in the tank as well (such as copepods and the tiny nocternal mysid shrimp which came into contact with it). Here's a pic of my favia with its short feeder tentacles extended:

Have you viewed your coral maybe an hour or two after the lights have gone out? (you've mentioned you haven't seen them extend the feeders but didn't elaborate as to when you were observing your coral).
Old 09-14-2008, 04:21 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Its been like 4 months now and this Favia brain coral looks the same as it did the day I got it not really attaching to the rock or growing at all coloration is still the same I know it doesn't grow fast at all but Shouldn't it grow eventually? In 20 years will it look the same? do they live that long? I don't feed it I just let it get what it needs from the water column.

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:16 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay-bee19 View Post
...regular feeding (1-3 times weekly) of larger food items (such as mysis shrimp) will help accelerate growth rate with LPS such favia...
Give this method a try. Target feed as many polyps as possible.

Tags
brain coral, coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com