Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Will my fish live?

Here's the story. I picked up a Red Sea Sailfin on friday from my LFS. He looked good and healthy and my wife loved it. I brought it home and aclimated it to my 10 gallon QT. On Sunday morning it looked very stressed. I did a test on the tank and found that the ammonia was at .5!! I quickly changed out about 8 gallons and got the ammonia back down. He started swimming around more and then I noticed the dreaded white spots. By the late afternoon he was heavy breathing on the bottom, hiding, loss of color, and loss of appetite. I treated the tank with copper, and been checking per instructions, to keep the concentration at .3. He looked about the same this morning. Do you think I'm going to lose the fish?

Old 04-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftler View Post
Here's the story. I picked up a Red Sea Sailfin on friday from my LFS. He looked good and healthy and my wife loved it. I brought it home and aclimated it to my 10 gallon QT. On Sunday morning it looked very stressed. I did a test on the tank and found that the ammonia was at .5!! I quickly changed out about 8 gallons and got the ammonia back down. He started swimming around more and then I noticed the dreaded white spots. By the late afternoon he was heavy breathing on the bottom, hiding, loss of color, and loss of appetite. I treated the tank with copper, and been checking per instructions, to keep the concentration at .3. He looked about the same this morning. Do you think I'm going to lose the fish?
you are fighting a losing battle trying to keep ammonia levels down in a 10 gal with a sail-fin in it.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

If your QT is not cycled and you do not have anything added with BB, then you are going to have to keep a close eye on the ammonia and plan on frequent water changes. How is your QT set up? Is the Tang eating?
Old 04-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

QT has been setup for quite some time. Bare bottom with a heater and a mechanical media in a hang on back filter. This tank has been used for many quarantines without any issues. The tang is only about 2" and so far has not eaten. It picked at little at the nori I put in on Saturday and very little at the pellets I dropped in.

Whenever I do a wc on the display I exchange water in the QT.

Tags
fish, live

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com