Will my Flame Be Safe? Hes kinda small...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well i just got a flame angel from liveaquaria today and its only like 2"-2.5" long, hes small so im worried about him going in my 75g tank with my fish. I have a snowflake eel in the tank that i know he could fit in his mouth but should i be concerned? the eel is 12" and as thick as a finger. this fish will definitely be smaller then anyone else in the tank is that something to be concerned with?

I have a 40g reef tank he could go in if theres going to be a problem with the 75g. I could even keep him in the fuge of the 40g (its a 20g fuge) if needed so he didnt destroy any coral. I just cant imagain he will grow very fast in the fuge but would grow faster ing the 75g do to space.

There's always a concern combining fish with eels especially if they can fit into the eels mouth. But on a lighter note, snowflakes aren't as aggressive as other eels. If u keep him fed it might be okay, but he will grow really fast!

That's about as big as a flame gets. I doubt the moray (he's not an eel) will attack him if everybody is kept well fed.

lol this isnt as big as they get, Iv seen lots of flames and this is one of the smallest. I just worry about him being picked on. Should he be going in my reef instead?

img_2217291_0_53ac3d2821acb826e94cf9a8fce7f672.jpg

CleverBs said:
Well i just got a flame angel from liveaquaria today and its only like 2"-2.5" long, hes small so im worried about him going in my 75g tank with my fish. I have a snowflake eel in the tank that i know he could fit in his mouth but should i be concerned? the eel is 12" and as thick as a finger. this fish will definitely be smaller then anyone else in the tank is that something to be concerned with?

I have a 40g reef tank he could go in if theres going to be a problem with the 75g. I could even keep him in the fuge of the 40g (its a 20g fuge) if needed so he didnt destroy any coral. I just cant imagain he will grow very fast in the fuge but would grow faster ing the 75g do to space.

Dwarf angels are notorious for picking at coral

lol this isnt as big as they get, Iv seen lots of flames and this is one of the smallest. I just worry about him being picked on. Should he be going in my reef instead?

Lol you said 2.5" and the biggest ever seen is about 4" guess I should have been more precise. Good luck.

well do you think he will be ok in the tank? I dont really have any fish that would be "Aggressive"

My flame is 10 years old and he has been a model citizen. But they all don't act that way, kind of hit or miss with them in general. I couldn't keep clams when I had them with dwarf angels and even wrasses, they did too much picking. Now my zoas suffer a bit because of the wrasses, but the angels have been okay. Hate to say it, but there is no perfect rule. If you want to be conservative, I wouldn't have any dwarf angels in a reef. But I like angels, so I have been taking my chances and so far so good. In a fish only tank, they can pretty much take care of themselves.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom