Will my light support an anemone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah that will be fine it's all about the water you keep.

Attachments

• image-2137274922.jpg
    image-2137274922.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 151
Actually not the case. Though they do need a very established tank (1+ year) they also need intense lighting as well.

I'm gonna say that if it chooses to stay near the top you'll be fine, but 6 lamps would be better for it since that's not always the case.

Chrisl6069 - What kind of anemone do you have?

I`m going to say also that you really need the 6 bulb set up. I personally dont think you have enough there.

Iv had my one in my tank from 4 months+ and it has bin fine I started of with T5 which just had a blue and a white. And my tank is about 9 months old and still going well.

4+ months isn't that long for a nem. What type is he? I ask because in the picture he looks bleached and not so good

Are you sure? A google search for mowie and Maui (which is what I thought it might be) returns nothing.

All I saw were anemones from the Maui Ocean Center, which is not a species of anemone

I will find out the name and let u no and I got anther pic of the net as well. There woz no name for it.

Attachments

• image-3159757053.jpg
    image-3159757053.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 123
No anemone should be white. That is a bleached heteractis malu a.k.a. sebae anemone.

This is what a sebae should look like.
sebae_11-09.jpg

So y is it White then when there is many varieties of anneoms I have seen them like that last pic posted. But yet my one is doing well.

It's white because it doesn't have enough light to support the symbiotic zooxanthellae algae that live inside it and give it it's color.

Coral Reefs: Zooxanthellae
"Any of these animals can bleach and turn white. As with corals, bleaching occurs when environmental stress adversely affects the mutually beneficial relationship between the host organism and its zooxanthellae."

An anemone lives for decades in the wild and generally less than 2 years in our tanks. Most die within a year.

start :soap:
My suggestion is 1) unless you know that an anemone is fragged from another already in captivity, or split from one in captivity, don't buy it; 2) unless you know exactly what #1 needs in terms of light, and care, and your tank can provide for it, don't buy it; 3) unless the person selling it knows the answers to #2, don't buy it.

LTA's can get BIG, well over a foot wide given proper conditions. They can live for 80+ years in the ocean. These creatures do not belong in captive tanks.
end :soap:

I completely agree. There are some things we should not try to keep as it is a slow trip to the trash can. There are exceptions to every rule...but not many when it comes to anemones.

Back
Top Bottom