Will My Tangs Get Along

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MississippiFishGuy

Aquarium Advice Activist
The other day I got a yellow tang from a pet shop but it was pretty small and didn't seem to be in good shape but I didn't see that until I was home and he was in my tank. But I also have a slightly larger sailfin tang in my tank already I did my research and it said usually if you put them in around the same time that they will get along pretty good. But I have only seen my yellow tang once since he has been in my tank and that was this morning so I just wanna know anyone knows if they will be ok together.

Hi there yes they should be ok i had a powder brown and a regal the powder browm was in first then i put a much smaller regal tang in a month or so later it took abit of time but they ended up swiming togther eating algae from the same rock and feeding togther it seemed like they knew they were of the same breed have patience it will prevale hope this helps good luck ......

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

At least the regal and powder brown were different species, the sailfin and the yellow are both Zebrasoma Tangs with the same body shape and will compete more. What size tank are we talking about here?

There dead my tank took a nose dive i negeleted it and lost the lot due to work comitmemts but now iv got it back to were it should be it gsve me a wake up call wasted a lot of money never again i was left with one coral and my sulpher goby thankfully just waiting on twodwarf lion fish i have ordered from my LFS a harsh reminder if not looked after ......?

When it comes to tangs problems arise when you have similar shapes and colors. Try getting tangs that are different colors and shapes.

melosu58 said:
When it comes to tangs problems arise when you have similar shapes and colors. Try getting tangs that are different colors and shapes.

I agree but they are wxpensive some of them are beautiful i think all of the tangs have the same temprement anyone agree .......?

Some have the same temprement some dont. Yes my yellow and scopas act the same but my yellow eyed Kole tang does not. There are several different type of tangs and they have different sizes and colors and temprements. They do not all act the same.

I agree but when it comes down to it food is food it's like your dog or cat they know wat food they like and i think maybe fish work the same way. For instance they can tell when you go near the tank they think feeding time msybe there breed is closer than we think ....?

No 2 fish act the same in different tanks,but tangs which are similar in colour and shape as mel has said can be aggressive to each other,I have a striped tang which follows my birdnose wrasse around and my kole tang follows the striped tang around,pretty funny to watch and they all come to the surface when its food time.

Yea but do they fight .no i would guess i know what your saying all im saying is that they can get along as a team that's my 2p's worth when it comes to that breed ...

Every tang is different. You may have a nice sociable yellow tang but I may have a skitzo one that attacks everything.

IMO the best thing to ensure a peaceful tank with tangs is to provide a tank that is suitable for them (as big as possible).

Well guys I started out with a very small yellow tang and later purchased a Desjardin Sailfin tang both different colors but the same body shape. Now the sailfin was the one with the attitude and they did both fight. But calmed down after me playing referee but later down the road I had to take the sail fin out of the tank to treat him for Hole IN the Head and I just recently put him back into the main tank and then the Yellow tang started in on him but has calmed down. You just have to watch them and be ready to take one out if need be and make sure you tell them that they are grounded till they can play nice with either other... LOL

Funny man if was only that easy lol .....

I have read on many forums they are calling it an Attitude Adjustment. They move the bully fish into the Sump/Refug until the new guy gets use to his new surroundings and then move the other back into the main tank making him or her lose his stumping grounds.

Lol that seems so mean lol I can't imagine putting him in my fuge haha I have heard of taking a Tupperware thing and putting holes in it then putting the mean one in but all I do is put my hand in the tank and give him the point with my finger and kinda just swims slowly over to his cave and pouts not kidding. Plus if he chases anything my flame angels sticks up for all the others and puts lil nikki in his place haha.

Back
Top Bottom