Will Pepermint Shrimp eat copepods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ezy33

Aquarium Advice Addict
I put 3 Peppermint Shrimps in my Mandarin tank to take care of a Aiptasia problem. Now I suspect they are depleting the copepod population. Has anyone else experienced this?

ezy33 said:
I put 3 Peppermint Shrimps in my Mandarin tank to take care of a Aiptasia problem. Now I suspect they are depleting the copepod population. Has anyone else experienced this?

What makes you think this? Have you seen this happening? I have three and have never seen this but I dont doubt it can happen.

how long has the tank been up i've read that mandarins and bleenies can take out a pod population in a few months if you don't have sufficent spare growth in your sump to transfer in

My cleaner shrimp hunts them at night. I would make sure the peppermints are getting enough food, but like flip said, the mandarin can wipe pods out quickly.

The tank has been up for 1.5 years and the Mandarins have been in for about 8 months. 1/4 of the tank is set aside for Chaetomorpha Algae. Before adding the peppermints I could see Pods in the Algea, now they have disappeared. As the shrimps have taken up residents in the Algea I assume they are eating them. I guess I'll put them in my 55 after moving my Ornate Wrass to the 180. While I could pull the Pajama Cardinalfish to the 30 and all the Damsels in the 180 to LFS. I figure this will only take a couple hours per fish. :eyes: Whats this multi tank syndrome I keep hearing about?

Back
Top Bottom