Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-31-2005, 06:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Will plexiglass bond to acrylic?

I was thinking of adding a divider in my acrylic sump. I have some plexiglass in the garage that I could cut to fit. Was just wondering if it would bond to acrylic using the aquarium silicon sealant.

Gatorfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 06:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Some others here may be able to correct me but the aquarium sealant does not bond anything. It would just seal them together. In order to bond they would need an adhesive that reacts with both pieces and chemically bonds them.

Vote for AquariumAdvice

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 07:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
it depends on how much pressure there will be on the acrylic. If the pressure is equal on both sides the silicone will work just fine.
Edmonton Eskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 09:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Plexiglass is a brand name for acrylic. You can glue them together but you will need a cement designed for acrylic bonding. Weldon 3,4 or 16 will work, the 3 and 4 are water thin and have to be applied with an applicator (the 3 dries faster than the 4) and the 16 has a syrupy consistency. There is also a product called "plastic welder", I don't remember who makes it (maybe Devcon?) that would also work and probably be easier for you to find for this single project. You may be able to find the pthers locally, look in the yellow pages under plastics and see if you have any listings. Good luck, Skip
skipm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 08:59 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
As a general rule, silicone doesn't stick, adhere, or work well with acrylic. It will stick to glass though.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote

acrylic, plexiglass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com