Will shrimp climb out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deitta

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had my 6gal eclipse tank up for over 3 months now with a 4" sand base and 8 pounds of lr, I believe my tank has cycled based on parims and I have small hitchhiker anemones growing like mad, copeopods like a bad lice infection, several rock boring worms and even a small star not only living but slowly getting bigger... tehee. :eek:
I have done my research and have choosen to create a goby-pistol shrimp "exibit". My problem is that even though we are Alaska, our summer temps have already passed 80 degrees and promise to get worse and air-conditioning is not an option. Because the lights are on for 9 hours a day (timer) and the heat generated by a mini-powerhead, I have been having a hard time keeping the temp below 83, unless the lid is open.
Having lost a beautiful eel to a slight opening in my FW, I am nervous about having a shrimp jump the ship. :cry:
Dose anyone know if SW shrimp, of the pristol shrimp variety, like to escape? Or am I safe?

Mine have "Swam/walked" to the top before but they arent that stupid to get out.

FWIW I know cleaner shrimp and the like become immobile blobs outside of water b/c of gravity. I had a cleaner jump ship, after being in my tank for close to a year w/ no top, literally THE DAY BEFORE I added a canopy to my set up! Pistols look like they could potentially be able to function out of water, like lobsters, but I doubt one could manage an escape since they don't swim well and can't climb glass.

Back
Top Bottom