Will sponges take over a coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshsmit56001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a small rock with star polyps on it and there is also some sponge on the same rock. My worry is that it is killing my star polyps. Second, the same star polyps are connected to another rock but I want to move the main polyp rock somewhere else. Can I just cut the polyps where I want to or what should I do?

Thanks,
Josh

Joshsmit56001 said:
I have a small rock with star polyps on it and there is also some sponge on the same rock. My worry is that it is killing my star polyps.
Certain sponges will live symbiotically with some coral types, primarily zoo's though. With GPS's they are both encrusting species and one will try to win out over the other. If that's the case, a soft toothbrush or a coral dip should get rid of the sponge.

Second, the same star polyps are connected to another rock but I want to move the main polyp rock somewhere else. Can I just cut the polyps where I want to or what should I do?
Use a sharp exacto blade and cut along the seam between the two rocks. It will not harm them at all and you will end up with to colonies. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

<<Coral Dips>> are basically disinfectants to help remove parasites and other problems. Just be sure to read the instructions carefully. Some coral types are not recommended. Personally I think the toothbrush is easier and the sponge should necros if exposed to air while doing so.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom