Will super glue work on corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keith A.

Aquarium Advice Activist
Yesterday, I went to my LFS to look around. I have some coral that I'm trying to grow so I can sell it or trade it in for credit. I'm trying to attach the coral (a branch of staghorn I think) to a rock. The puddy glue hasn't seemed to work all that well and I asked about a liguid glue. The lady at the LFS said to use the super glue or crazy glue gel that I can get at any store and it wouldn't hurt anything. Is this true? Can I really use superglue to attach coral to rock without it hurting anything or throwing the water chemistry off?

Keith

Yes, use krazy glue over super glue, but the "Gel" variety works best.

I've been using the super glue gel from the Dollar stores for a few years. 2 tubes for $1. :)

Okay. I think I'll give it a shot then. I was concerned about putting something like that in the tank if it would mess things up of not. Thanks for the feedback.

Keith

ive been trying Krazy glue gel and i cant seem to get it to stick to the rock. i even tried applying the glue under water so as soon as the glue touched the frag i would set it in the rock, no luck. i guess ill try a different type of superglue

That's because as soon as the glue touches water it hardens.. lol.

Really? Dang... I must have some super-cool super-glue then 'cause mine doesn't.

thetonyage: Don't expect to use it like you'd normally use super glue (super thin layer) - you have to use a lot. I've found that if you make a little pile of it (even underwater) then put the frag in the pile and hold it there for a couple minutes, it usually holds pretty well. It's not the easiest thing to work with underwater, but if you get some of the cheap gel stuff like ccCapt mentioned, you can do a little practicing in a bucket of water.

I agree with Kurt, use a little more then you would normally use and as he said it a go.

When i was using the loc-tite super glue gel to glue my frags to the rock it wouldn't work because as soon as the glue touched the water it hardened.. Maybe it was because i wasn't using alot.. i dont really know but all i can say is that it DID harden under water. So excuse me for being wrong in your terms lol.

I used many tubes of Loc-Tite gel. It's doesn't harden as soon as it hits the water, but it does "skin over". If you have the glue on both the piece of rock you plan on attaching the coral to and also on the coral, just mush the 2 pieces together. It will "break open" the skinned over area and stick together.

Aha.. now that i tried doing but since i put a thin layer i think the "skin over" was basically like the glue hardening. Well, now i know in the future not to put a small amount. Thanks for the info experts.

Back
Top Bottom