Will these fish work together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GarrettBay

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've done about a week of research on what fish I could handle and which ones can go together and whatnot, but wanted to run this by some more experienced FOWLR enthusiasts! I want to put these in a 55 gallon tank.

2x Oscellaris Clowns
1x Black and white clown
1x Valentinit or Blue spotted or Bennett's Sharpnose Puffer
1x Christmas Wrasse
1x Yellow Wrasse
1x Vrolik Wrasse
1x Jeweled Moray Eel

Various snails, red banded coral shrimp, 2 little lobsters...no other shrimp or sea stars or anything.

If that is too many fish, I will drop one or two of the wrasses first.

I don't think your snail, shrimp, or lobster will fair very well with a moray eel and probably not with a puffer. The Jeweled Moray is listed as aggressive and will eat small fish as well. Not the best idea to keep clowns in anymore than a pair.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I would be mindful of the black and white clown and the pair of OC. Also the moray eel will eat small fish and the puffer will much the CUC potentially

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Actually looking at your list the only ones who may have a chance would be the wrasses as they are fairly fast , everything else would probably be lunch , as if it would fit in it's mouth it's most likely lunch ,

Ok, thanks guys. I know they are listed that way, but thought there might be a chance if he was added last. So only two clowns per tank?

Second, I thought the coral and lobsters would be ok since the puffers I'm looking at only get 4" full grown? I HAVE TO HAVE A LITTLE PUFFER!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 4 inch Mystery Wrasse that will destroy any shrimp I put in the tank. IMO, the Valentini with that hard beak would also put a beat down on any shrimp your put in there.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If a puffer likes to eat inverts, size won't really matter at all. But, that said, there are a small handful of puffers that will go great in a 55! I'm a fan of the blue spotted puffer. Pictures don't do them justice to how much those spots just shine. Amazing looking one that I would highly recommend. Because of how their teeth grow, they need to have some 'hard shelled' food once and awhile. Clams on the half shell will work and are pretty popular when feeding puffers and other fish in general.

I've done about a week of research on what fish I could handle and which ones can go together and whatnot, but wanted to run this by some more experienced FOWLR enthusiasts! I want to put these in a 55 gallon tank.

2x Oscellaris Clowns
1x Black and white clown
1x Valentinit or Blue spotted or Bennett's Sharpe nose Puffer
1x Christmas Wrasse
1x Yellow Wrasse
1x Vrolik Wrasse
1x Jeweled Moray Eel

Various snails, red banded coral shrimp, 2 little lobsters...no other shrimp or sea stars or anything.

If that is too many fish, I will drop one or two of the wrasses first.

If you look above the fish I marked in red will work ,

You are pretty much stocked with 6 fish , but You could get away with maybe a small school of purple and purple stripe dotty backs 3 of each ,
I have a school of 12 in my 90g and they add color,

As for a coral banded shrimp he wouldn't do well he would be ripped to pieces by the wrasses so he is a No

you would have better luck with either a fire shrimp or a skunk shrimp
reason for this is wrasses and the puffer will leave them alone why I don't know , it's just from my personal experience ,

Lobsters should be 1 per tank as they are territorial and with more than one they will most likely kill one another.

Inverts snails , hermits , are fine as long as you realize the puffer will snack on them , actually it's good for him , it keeps the puffers teeth groomed other wise there teeth will become over grown preventing him to eat .

I replenish my snails and hermits about every 6 months any way , I look at it like this if they do it in the wild let him do it in the tank ,

puffers love clams I buy 4 or 5 of the live cleaner clams some vendors have them , be sure to get the small ones about a inch in size there about a dollar each , frozen clams and mussels are just as good

Wow thank you for the detailed response 54seaweed. I was thinking of a small school of something so that's good to hear. Would a watchman goby be OK in here? I do want at least one sand dweller and/or "perching" fish like the flame hawkfish or watchman goby or (insert suggestion here).

Back
Top Bottom