Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2004, 09:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Will this RO unit be good?

If I bought this unit would be sufficient for aquarium use? Home depot has this in stock.
http://www.geappliances.com/smartwat....htm?GXRV10ABL .

Thanks

Old 01-25-2004, 09:39 PM   #2

That is way over priced for what ypu are getting. $229 for 10 GPD RO unit is a pretty bad deal. If you look on E-bay they have RO units with drinking watr kits. I also have a 100 GPD RO/DI unit on sale for $189.99 and you can add a drinking water kit for $100. I would shop around more and find a better deal than that.

Old 01-25-2004, 09:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I figured someone would mention that.

It is $160.00 at Home Depot. If it is OK I would prefer to buy from there than Ebay.

Thanks
Old 01-25-2004, 09:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

If your careful on ebay and read users feedback on a particular seller, you can usually judge weither or not you'd get ripped off.

and theres alot of good quality stuff on ebay, its not all just stuff people don't want anymore.

There are people that buy direct from the factory, in pallets, and put the stuff on ebay. It undercuts places like wal-marts and such by a great margin!

I was thinking about getting into the ebay business myself.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:02 PM   #5
cj10488

Quote:
That is way over priced for what ypu are getting. $229 for 10 GPD RO unit is a pretty bad deal
I agree.. Filterdirect is the name of a good seller that I personally delt with to get mine.. Nice 6 stage ro/di and it was only 125.00 shipped..

HTH<
James
Old 01-25-2004, 11:08 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
You can get a lot more unit for much less money. Would that unit be sufficient? Yes, but marginally so because it lacks a DI chamber. I would look very hard at the Aqua FX units. They are top quality units and Aqua FX has very good customer support. You'd really be better off with a unit that has DI.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to normd
May I suggest you check out our library article on what to look for in a RO/DI filter. What we have in there is not just to sell filters, but it what I personally use.

http://www.aquariumwaterfilters.com/...ilter_FAQ.html

Norm
Webmaster
http://www.aquariumwaterfilters.com
Old 01-25-2004, 11:18 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Check this:

100GPD with Drinking attachement, four stage filtering not 3 for $240

http://www.wateranywhere.com/Item/AssembledRO.htm

The 12 GPD with the same features is $170.

Perhaps a little better then the GE at Home Depot because it is 4 Stage instead of 3 and it is 2 GPD more.

But if you wish - the GE you provided in the link above is fine for aquarium usage and uses the standard DOW Filmtec type Thin Film Composite membrane that everyone else in the world uses for these. It just doesn't provide much water per hour.

Also consider the Kold Steril Units by Poly-Bio-Marine. They are getting a lot of recognition, even in countries that have stricter regulations on water quality then we do. Not sure what good prices on these are.

I think you will find some good comments on them on WetWebMedia.com

HTH

Tom
Old 01-25-2004, 11:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to normd
Jeeze for a few more bucks you get a 50 gpd and clear canisters and a pressure gauge and an in-line TDS.

http://www.aquariumwaterfilters.com/RODI/Barracuda.html

Norm
Webmaster
http://www.aquariumwaterfilters.com
Old 01-26-2004, 09:54 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, I'm a little confused. I would prefer to buy a system that has everything with so that I could put it under the kitchen sink. I have only a 55 gallon tank and I only use about 2 gallons a week in top-offs so I do not want to spend alot of money but I want to make sure it is doing what it supposed to. I'm not sure I would get my moneys worth if I only used it for my tank.

I have looked at the unit posted http://www.aquariumwaterfilters.com/RODI/Barracuda.html but it does not have a storage tank and cost more than the one below if I add one. Not sure what the difference is? I assume if I bought this I would only use it for my tank? Where and How do you fellow hobbyists mount these units. I just image it being under a sink and having it's own faucet.

Does this unit have DI capabilities. http://www.aquariumwaterfilters.com/...ter5Stage.html In Aquafx's article the was posted it states that 5 stage systems have DI, but do I need to add a DI filter. It is more affordable for me, but if it does not do what I need I will wait.

My closest sink is 10' away and it is a bathroom sink. I guess I don't know how I would utilize a system without a storage tank. Could you hook up a garden hose somehow and then fill up bottles or buckets to make water changes and top off's? I'm just puzzled! Going to walmart is getting old too. I do not know anyone who has done this and my LFS tells me I'm nuts when I do something that is not 70's related. He uses the same city water I do and gets lucky. I get hair algae I guess cause of the high PO4.

Thanks again for the help and patience with me.

Tags
ro unit, unit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com